We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nosara ... and Santa Theresa? or Jaco?

Which Nosara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
reviews: 12
Nosara ... and Santa Theresa? or Jaco?

Hello Everyone!

My husband and I are planning a trip to Costa Rica and are just diving into the planning of it. So far, we've found Harmony Hotel in Nosara which would satisfy his desire to surf and my desire for yoga/and learning to surf.

My guess is that we'll have about 9 days. Should we split our time between Nosara and Santa Theresa or do something like Jaco? Also, should we rent a car and drive?

Harmony said that August and September are the best months for surf. Is that correct? I thought that was the wet season.

Thank you everyone in advance!

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
reviews: 75
1. Re: Nosara ... and Santa Theresa? or Jaco?

Not sure what Jaco would offer you that you couldn't find in Nosara . . .

San Francisco
reviews: 12
2. Re: Nosara ... and Santa Theresa? or Jaco?

We'd like to split our time to see two different feels rather than just staying in one town for the entire 9 days. That's just how we like to travel.

But also, that's why I was asking people who have been to Costa Rica to get an idea.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
3. Re: Nosara ... and Santa Theresa? or Jaco?

What other kind of feel would you be looking for? Jaco and St Theresa would be considered to be much more similar than different than Nosara, from what I can gather (we're staying near Nosara in Ostional over Labor Day ourselves).

If you want to avoid the rain, maybe look at the Caribbean coast instead.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
reviews: 115
4. Re: Nosara ... and Santa Theresa? or Jaco?

All great places to surf. IMO Jaco is easier place to learn to surf. All three are very different from eachother.

A very easy way to do this would be to fly with Nature air from San Jose to Tambor (Santa Teresa) stay in this area for a few days then fly from Tambor to Nosara then fly back to San Jose. This is a quick and easy way to get around, pluse affordable if you watch for good ticket prices. I haven't been to St. T in September but from what I have heard from friends the rain can sock you in. This option probably keeps you in San Jose the first and last night of your trip.

Another option would be to go to Jaco once you arrive. you could stay a few days then take the taxi boat over to Montezuma on to St. T. To get back to San Jose you could fly or ferry or taxi boat back. This option would only have you in San Jose for one night.

IMO it depends if you want to be in a quiet/ more secluded area the whole time or would you like 1/2 and 1/2. Jaco is the biggest beach town. Lots to offer, especially for surfers, but you won't feel like you are in the middle of no where. I leave in less then a week and will be flying into Nosara then drive back to Jaco.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
5. Re: Nosara ... and Santa Theresa? or Jaco?

To get from Nosara to Tambor, you would have to make a connection in San Jose. When figuring in check-in times and lay over, probably not much time saved vs driving, certainly not any money.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
6. Re: Nosara ... and Santa Theresa? or Jaco?

Yes Racandee you are right if you want to fly from Nosara to Santa Teresa you would have to go through San Jose BUT that is why you want to fly from San Jost to Tambor with Nature Air and do Santa Teresa first. Then you fly from Tambor to Nosara, 15 min flight. No stops unless dry season and some times they might stop at Punta Islita but that doesn't factor into anyting for your trip. The flight to Nosara from San Jose does a stop over in Tambor then goes on to Nosara then Back to San Jose. I have done this flight many times and will be doing it again in 2 weeks.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
7. Re: Nosara ... and Santa Theresa? or Jaco?

I stand corrected. Thanks for the information--I may rely on that one day (looking for an excuse to return to Ylang Ylang in Montezuma).

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
8. Re: Nosara ... and Santa Theresa? or Jaco?

The first time we did this flight we had a large group(should have just booked a charter) and 2 of our friends in the group have serious fears with flying, let alone one of those Nature Air planes. I booked all the flights and didn't mention all the little stop overs from Tambor to San Jose until we were already sitting on the plane :) What could they do right? It is a beautiful flight from Tambor to Nosara because you stay so low. Sit by a window for sure.

guanacaste
reviews: 31
9. Re: Nosara ... and Santa Theresa? or Jaco?

Santa Teresa and Samara are both nice and more natural than Jaco. Jaco is the place to party.

Try flying in/out Liberia and maybe you should see the jungle and a volcano. Try to book a day or two in Rincon de la Vieja Volcano. The volcano is active but safe to visit. Lots of nature and adventure. You will see another part of Costa Rica this way.

San Jose, Costa Rica
10. Re: Nosara ... and Santa Theresa? or Jaco?

For nature and great beches...SAnta Tereza...Mal Pais...Montezuma...Jco is nice beach...but mostly for surfers and party!

roadadvisor