We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime and Safety when renting a house is Nosara

Which Nosara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Crime and Safety when renting a house is Nosara

Just read a number of posts about walking around in Nosara. Lots of good info.

I am thinking of renting a house but have concerns about theft and security.

I have read accounts of people who rented houses getting robbed or interupting break in's.

One guy was sitting by his pool and they went into his house and took everything. Thats all I need.

It looks like most rental houses have bars on the windows and doors. Is that enough. Do you have to keep locked up even when your home?

I keep hearing about safes. How big are they? Can you put a lot of stuff in them.

Why don't they try to steal the safe too.

Security isn't going to stop me from coming to paradise but I am trying to get a better handle on this issue before a book a property.

Is one area more prone to thefts

Any insight would be appreciated.

85 replies to this topic
Anaheim, California
reviews: 11
1. Re: Crime and Safety when renting a house is Nosara

I'm sure this can be a problem anywhere in Costa Rica, most rental properties have either a safe or a good bodega to store your valuable. Typically safes are big enough to store lap tops, cameras, electronics,money and important documents, you should use them always. My family has never had a problem in Nosara, but you should use common sense when ever you travel abroad to any country, as you do back home.

Alberta
reviews: 6
2. Re: Crime and Safety when renting a house is Nosara

We just returned and found it very inconvenient to be locking up the gate, locking up the doors and then the bars as well. However, they just want you to be safe thats all. If your in the pool, lock up the front. I don't work in my backyard without locking my front door so just use common sense. We thought at night it was more of a problem so made sure we locked up. Lots of gates just have the locks hanging during the day.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
reviews: 2
3. Re: Crime and Safety when renting a house is Nosara

I live in Nosara and have a house in Palada and a house in Guiones. Do you know what area you are going to be staying at? What are the names of the houses you are considering? Maybe I can help with more info if I knew these answers....

canada
reviews: 1
4. Re: Crime and Safety when renting a house is Nosara

I'm curious to see answers to this thread - I'll be staying at Casa Reef cottage near Harbor Reef, any feedback on this location? tia!

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
5. Re: Crime and Safety when renting a house is Nosara

I know exactly where Casa Reef is, next door to the Harbor Reef Hotel. It's an excellent location and should be perfectly safe as long as you use all normal precautions, i.e. keeping your stuff locked up, away from windows, not inviting strangers home, normal things like that. I would not hesitiate to stay in this house. Very close to the beach, Harbor Reef Hotel restaurant, (a little expensive as most hotels are) and the Beach Dog Cafe which has great food and smoothies and better prices! Around the corner you also have Casa Tucan Hotel which has a fun bar/restaurant and The Harmony Hotel for excellent sushi! Many other places within 10 minute walk!

Boston...
6. Re: Crime and Safety when renting a house is Nosara

Trying to go 12/26/11 to 01/02/12.

Tough time to stay at the hotels.

Seems like there are houses available.

As you can see i have some concerns about crime and safety.

Don't want to be stressed because i am in the middle of the jungle by myself. More important I don't want my wife stressed.

Looking to be in Guiones.

I may opt to rent a house that is nearer to other properties or activities just

to be on the safe side and cut down on the stress.

Also, have a 14 & 15 yr old boy to keep occupied.

I would welcome your thoughts.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
7. Re: Crime and Safety when renting a house is Nosara

Check out the 'surfingnosara' web site for many property rentals, then get in touch with Rich (through the web site) to answer any questions. I'm sure he can direct you to the perect rental, but do it soon, as many are already booking up for Christmas!

Tahoe City, CA
reviews: 16
8. Re: Crime and Safety when renting a house is Nosara

Hi there . How would you rate the safety and location of the Villa del Sol condos in Pelada? We will be traveling with small children. But have been to costa many times and understand the basic precautions. Thanks

9. Re: Crime and Safety when renting a house is Nosara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:17 pm, August 24, 2011
Edited: 12:17 pm, August 24, 2011

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
10. Re: Crime and Safety when renting a house is Nosara

What a great service Allylam is providing in this forum...she is a person that is not trying to sell anything...I have had been reading most of ther post...and she is great...we need more expats like her...decent ...nice and love our country!

GRACIAS AllyLam...

roadadvisor

Edited: 12:40 pm, August 24, 2011
Reply to: Crime and Safety when renting a house is Nosara
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted