We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay in the Coromandel area?

Which Coromandel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Queensland
reviews: 20
Best place to stay in the Coromandel area?

We are on a limited time in our visit to the Coromandel this April. Where should we stay to be best centered to use some walking trails - we are very fit; enjoy a restaurant / town, and what would you recommend as the "must do's" for this area in 2 days.

Thanks for the replies.

16 replies to this topic
Auckland Region...
reviews: 68
1. Re: Best place to stay in the Coromandel area?

Hi, I am not very experienced with walking trails in the area but I've been to the Coromandel several times and would recommend Whitianga as a good base. It's not necessarily the best beach but it is a good sized town and you'll find a few decent restaurants (there is one called Salt which is on the waterfront which does nice food). Whitianga is also an easy base to get to some of the very beautiful beaches which are probably the Coromandel's main attraction - Hahei, Hot Water Beach, Cooks Beach in one direction, Opito Bay, Matarangi if you head north. If you go to Hahei, you must do the walk over the hill to Cathedral Cove, it's a stunning little beach.

new zealand
reviews: 311
2. Re: Best place to stay in the Coromandel area?

must do. Awesome historical and interesting walk. Take a torch and I especially recommend the windows tunnel walk.

thecoromandel.com/new-zealand/…

Other must dos are of course hot water beach and cathedral cove. But check the tides as hot water beach is best an hour or so either side of low tide.

Queensland
reviews: 20
3. Re: Best place to stay in the Coromandel area?

Thanks to you both for the replies.

Auckland, New...
reviews: 10
4. Re: Best place to stay in the Coromandel area?

I much prefer the Coromandel township side of the peninsula, rather than the Whitianga side,

I see you are from Queensland - if you are near the ocean in Queesnland, then I don't think the beaches on the Whitianga side will impress! They are fantastic by NZ standards, but probably not by QLD standards.

The eastern side of the Coromandel is completely different. The beaches are certainly nothing to write home about - mostly pebbles not sand, but the scenery is way better IMO. And more interesting things to do and see, I think. I recommend you stay in Coromandel township,

Check out: http://www.coromandelfun.co.nz

And I completely agree with poppnz's suggestion of the Karangahape Gorge for an excellent walk.

Tauranga
5. Re: Best place to stay in the Coromandel area?

No sand on the eastern beaches? What about New Chums, voted one of the top twenty beaches in the world. Not to mention the pink sands of Hahei or the wonderful beaches of Whangapoua, Matarangi, Cathedral Cove, Hot Water Beach, Pauanui and Whangamata. I know I've missed a few.

The west coast (the Thames Coast) is no less impressive, but it is the rocky one.

My pick would be to stay at Whitianga and drive to Coromandel. It is only a short drive of 45 minutes without stops, but then again why wouldn't you stop along the way at some of the beaches I've just mentioned.

Auckland, New...
reviews: 10
6. Re: Best place to stay in the Coromandel area?

Oops - as cssr pointed put, I mixed up 'eastern' and western'!!

It's the western side that has the rocky/pebbly beaches, but is none-the-less the side I recommend. There are plenty of lovely sandy beaches in Queensland, so why not go for different attractions while you are in NZ.

Edited: 1:12 pm, January 19, 2014
Tauranga
7. Re: Best place to stay in the Coromandel area?

No sand on the eastern beaches? What about New Chums, voted one of the top twenty beaches in the world. Not to mention the pink sands of Hahei or the wonderful beaches of Whangapoua, Matarangi, Cathedral Cove, Hot Water Beach, Pauanui and Whangamata. I know I've missed a few.

The west coast (the Thames Coast) is no less impressive, but it is the rocky one.

My pick would be to stay at Whitianga and drive to Coromandel. It is only a short drive of 45 minutes without stops, but then again why wouldn't you stop along the way at some of the beaches I've just mentioned.

Tauranga
8. Re: Best place to stay in the Coromandel area?

Sorry for the duplicate post. Not sure what happened.

Kiwi_Joce I can understand the error. It's perfectly natural for Aucklanders' to want to head east. ;>]

Kate, when in April are you here? The Matarangi Food and Wine Festival is on 5 April.

New Zealand
reviews: 43
9. Re: Best place to stay in the Coromandel area?

Www.accommodationcoromandel.co.nz - lots to choose from!

new zealand
reviews: 311
10. Re: Best place to stay in the Coromandel area?

I much preferred the eastern side to the west. More to do, lovely beaches.

Reply to: Best place to stay in the Coromandel area?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted