We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One week in the Coromandel

Which Coromandel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Noosa, Australia
reviews: 7
One week in the Coromandel

Hi fellow trippers. My wife and I are spending one week staying in the Cormandel at grand Mercure Puka Park in mid February next year. We are flying in to Auckland, hiring a car and plan to drive out and book into the Novotel Puka Park at Pauanui Beach on the same afternoon we arrive.

My questions is what would be the main sights that we should see in the Coromandel area and can we do these off our own bat or are tours an option as well. We both like nature/culture and aren't afraid of going off the beaten track. We also plan to do a two or three day trip to other ares with overnight stays. Any suggestions from you Kiwi locals would be greatly appreciated.

Rotorua New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
reviews: 33
1. Re: One week in the Coromandel

We have just spent a week in the Coromandel. Our highlights, apart from catching up with good friends, were;

The Lost Spring...expensive but the ambience is great and when you hear the story and learn about the endurance of the guy responsible, it does not seem badly priced.

Driving Creek Railway

Waterworks

Enjoying a whitebait fritter at the cafe near the ferry landing near Cook's Beach.

Hot Water Beach (dependent on tides, though)

Great walks around the Coromandel.

Waihi Gold MIne.

Hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did. We also had an enjoyable time at Culgoa Point, Noosa a couple of years ago.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
reviews: 37
2. Re: One week in the Coromandel

Try to get to Whitianga and take a boat trip along the coast , you will see Cathedral Cove and some stunning cliff/rock scenery.

Any of the beaches are fantastic

Hot water beach is a bit of a novelty if you want to dig a hole and sit in hot water surrounded by dozens of others in very close proximity.

Then after five minutes?

This link will give you a good impression of what to expect from a boat trip

There are other operators but this is a good site. Try to get in a boat that has forward facing seats for the best view.

www.whitianga-adventures.co.nz/index.html

If you fancy some great sea fishing then Whitianga is the place for that too.

New Zealand
3. Re: One week in the Coromandel

All the suggestions above are definitely worth while. There's plenty of other options too. If you're into guided walking Kiwi Dundee are very popular, it's worth contacting them before you arrive. If you'd rather walk on your own 'The Pinnacles' walk is a must, this heritage walk is a challenge but well worth it, the views are spectacular.

The Hauraki Rail Trail has just opened up and is an easy scenic cycle.

If you want to ask some 'locals' what they'd recommend feel free to ask a question on facebook.com/the.coromandel.goodforyoursoul

For any other information check out www.thecoromandel.com

Noosa, Australia
reviews: 7
4. Re: One week in the Coromandel

Thanks to all for their input. I've now got some good pointers to a great holiday. Cheers.

5. Re: One week in the Coromandel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 29, 2013