We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pay in GBP or Euro

Which Playa Blanca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
uk
reviews: 40
Pay in GBP or Euro

Not a question, just a warning,

Many of the Credit Card machines give the option of paying in Sterling or Euros.

You get a slip AFTER the event informing you that you accept you were given the option of which currency to use and there is no comeback

We were automatically allocated to GBP on several occasions without being consulted!

So remember to check currency before it's too late.

We always opt to pay in euros as we get much better rate of exchange from home bank.

London, England
reviews: 64
1. Re: Pay in GBP or Euro

The card reader knows that the CC is a foreign one and will give the option to pay in the home country currency, but if you look at the screen of the machine it tells you what currency you are paying in. You always have the option to change it. If you are in the Euro Zone it is always advantageous to pay in Euros.

When I advise my bank I shall be using my card abroad, they always explain this to me.

Stoke-on-Trent...
reviews: 8
2. Re: Pay in GBP or Euro

Read this blog from Martin Lewis.

…moneysavingexpert.com/2013/…

Regards

uk
3. Re: Pay in GBP or Euro

Option to choose currency is coming up AFTER you input your PIN !!

take care out there

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 48
4. Re: Pay in GBP or Euro

I travel a lot and still got caught by this in spain this year -- I don't recall ever being asked this on French machines. If one is not aware of the intricacies it is not immediately obvious why accepting your own currency is such a stupid idea. Only got it wrong a couple of times, but it is very irritating.

Preston, United...
5. Re: Pay in GBP or Euro

I got caught out by this in fund grube, wasn't aware and all had been done by the time I entered my pin. Was angry when I realised my mistake as got 1.15 rather than visa's 1.19 which makes a difference on a big purchase.

They did actually ask at the airport though

London
reviews: 5
6. Re: Pay in GBP or Euro

I was asked at Fund Gruge in Playa Blanca - and they grinned when I was very clear when I told them Euros...they know the score.

Hiperdino however seem to have disabled the euro option and put it though in pounds themselves which led to a big barny when I was there.

7. Re: Pay in GBP or Euro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, November 27, 2014