We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car from Florence to San Casciano/Villa i Barronci

Which San Casciano in Val di Pesa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 4
Renting a car from Florence to San Casciano/Villa i Barronci

My friend and I are taking the train from Rome to Florence. From there, we need to rent a car and drive to our villa/hotel in San Casciano (we're staying at the Villa i Barronci.)

1.) I am extremely nervous about driving in/around Florence. Should I be? I'm from Boston- If I can handle Boston, can I handle Florence?

2) Am I better off renting a car from the airport, instead of city center? Ultimately we will depart by way of the Florence airport, so maybe that is best?

3) Any and all rental tips/driving advice would be appreciated.

6 replies to this topic
Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 51
1. Re: Renting a car from Florence to San Casciano/Villa i Barronci

You are right to be nervous about driving in Florence, not because of crazy drivers, but because of the camera enforced limited traffic zones. Therefore, you would be much better off renting from the airport. See this following article for information on the ZTLs and other driving regulations that you must know about before attempting to drive in Italy:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187893-c140065/Tusca…

Once you know what you are dealing with, it is no problem driving outside of the major cities.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 4
2. Re: Renting a car from Florence to San Casciano/Villa i Barronci

This is very good information. Thank you so much! After reading that article, I am a bit more nervous to be honest. I have a U.S. drivers license, but currently reside in Amsterdam. I do not have an international drivers license. Do the rental car companies check for this? I'm not one to press my luck, but I wonder how strictly enforced it is. I suppose I'd be in trouble if I got pulled over...

What to do! Our villa is 30 mins outside of Florence. It says taxis/public transport do not go there. #Badplanning

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 1
3. Re: Renting a car from Florence to San Casciano/Villa i Barronci

Did you ever determine what you were going to do about renting a car? I am in a similar situation, and I haven't determined the best solution.

Edited: 3:12 pm, August 26, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
4. Re: Renting a car from Florence to San Casciano/Villa i Barronci

Driving a rental car out of Florence is not too difficult: ask the agent for instructions on how to leave the city without entering a prohibited zone. But don't try to return a car on Florence city: the one-way systems are too confusing. Return at the airport.

An International Drivers Permit is required as well as your US driving license. Get one from the AAA.

rhode island
reviews: 95
5. Re: Renting a car from Florence to San Casciano/Villa i Barronci

I just rented from Hertz on Saturday (in Italy) and was not asked to provide an International Permit. I was also in Greece in May and was not asked there either.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
6. Re: Renting a car from Florence to San Casciano/Villa i Barronci

Whether the rental company asks for an IDP is irrelevant. If you are stopped by the Police, they *will* ask for an IDP and they *will* fine you if you do not have one.

What is more, if you have an accident and do not have an IDP, you will be regarded as an unlicensed driver and your insurance will be void.

Reply to: Renting a car from Florence to San Casciano/Villa i Barronci
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Casciano in Val di...
More San Casciano in Val di Pesa Topics