We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bacolod - Sipalay van share?

Which Sipalay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Powell River, Canada
reviews: 56
Bacolod - Sipalay van share?

I know it's a long shot, but is anyone else out there traveling to Sipalay from Bacolod in the early morning of January 13th & interested in sharing the cost of a private car? Please correct me if I'm wrong but there is only one dedicated AC van share per day @ 2pm according to online research? I'm not overly excited about the 4hr non-AC bus ride. Happy Holidays.

63 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
reviews: 1,150
1. Re: Bacolod - Sipalay van share?

I have found four to five hour non aircon bus rides in rural Philippins tolerable provided on tries to sit in one of the very few seats (generally near the front) with a tiny bit moree leg room.

When the bus gets going at 50 to 70kmh, it can be pleasant with the air rushing through.

However one disadvantage of these buses is that they stop anywhere to pick up or set down, which slows the average speed.

Asia
reviews: 24
2. Re: Bacolod - Sipalay van share?

Wylie, in case you already have a reservation with one of the resorts there you may want to ask them if they provide transport from Bacolod. Some of them do. If you are lucky other guests will also use that service. Just try.

Powell River, Canada
3. Re: Bacolod - Sipalay van share?

Thanks for the input.

I've done shorter bus/jeepney rides in the Philippines over the years & they've been OK. But being 6'3" & fresh off the plane from Canada this time around, the thought of the bus ride makes me cringe. With that said, beggars can't be choosers.

Happy Holidays.

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
reviews: 83
4. Re: Bacolod - Sipalay van share?

Wyliekylie,

...Another option you can do is break the travel up. You can do the van option fr Bacolod to Kabankalan. The vans are faster since they go straight. What I do, since I am claustrophobic is get the seat in front. If the driver insists that 2 persons can fit at the front, I buy the seat next to me. So I pay for 2 seats. It just makes a bit of difference. Or as suggested by Q, you can ask the resorts if they are picking someone up. Do you have a place in mind there na?

Then when you get off Kabankalan get a bus to Sipalay. The problem road is in Ilog and only for a bit. I was in Sipalay April so I am sure at least 75% of that will be done. The reat are good roads with wobderful views. It is not a bad ride per se. Maybe breaking it up will do for you.

Powell River, Canada
5. Re: Bacolod - Sipalay van share?

Thanks to all for your advice on getting to Sipalay. I will definently consider the Bacolod - Kabankalan - Sipalay option.

Can I board the bus at the Bacolod airport or do I have to travel to the city terminal? Is Ceres Liner the only operator?

Luang Prabang, Laos
6. Re: Bacolod - Sipalay van share?

You best take a shuttle from the airport (150 Pesos) to Bacolod and tell the driver to take you to the Ceres South Terminal.

You can't find buses at the airport unfortunately.

And don't worry, you can do it. I am reasonably tall and took longer bus rides. And this one will even be scenic.

Powell River, Canada
7. Re: Bacolod - Sipalay van share?

Here's the result of my Bacolod - Sipalay - Dumaguete bus experience:

Bacolod airport to South bus terminal in shared AC van - 40 mins & 150p

South bus terminal to Sipalay - just under 5hrs & 179p

The bus did not have AC but as others mentioned it wasn't really necessary. If you're going to Sugar Beach then make sure to get off the bus at Sipalay town proper.

After a few days at Sugar Beach, I carried on to Dauin just outside of Dumaguete.

Sipalay to Hinoba-an - just under 1hr & 30p

Hinoba-An to Dauin - 4.5hrs & 165p

This experience will have me traveling by bus more often to save on costs.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
reviews: 209
8. Re: Bacolod - Sipalay van share?

Hi WylieKylie,

Thanks for the info.

I am just wondering, according to Google Maps, the distance from Bacolod Airport to the South Bus Terminal is about 4km based on line of sight.

Why do you need 40mins then? Unless the info in Google Map is wrong which is possible.

Asia
reviews: 24
9. Re: Bacolod - Sipalay van share?

Wylie, great to hear that it all worked out for you. Riding buses is more fun in the Philippines. ;)

Just out of curiosity, where did you stay at Sugar Beach and in the Dumaguete area?

Q

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
reviews: 83
10. Re: Bacolod - Sipalay van share?

Thanks for that info, Wylie.

MH,

Boundary fr Bacolod to Silay is 14.4 but the airport and the Bus terminal is farther out so it should be more than 14.4. Maybe 20? And the shuttle crisscrosses around town so the ride takes longer.

Reply to: Bacolod - Sipalay van share?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sipalay
Recent Conversations