We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Agropoli Trip Report - one week in June

Which Agropoli hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal
reviews: 20
Agropoli Trip Report - one week in June

Two ladies in their late 50's, old time friends of 33 years and travelling buddies decided to take a short holiday in Italy and here's how it went...

Weather was sunny, around 25C each day, dry and pleasant, not a drop of rain did we ever see.

Arriving Monday around 5PM, stayed at Hotel Mare (see my hotel review) for one week that went very quickly. In Agropoli most businesses, stores etc., shut down around 1 or 2 pm and then reopen around 4 or 5 pm. The bars or cafes stay open so you can walk around town with no traffic and then stop and get some refreshments along the way.

Tuesday, we walked up to the castle taking our time and pictures of the lovely buildings. The views from the castle were fantastic. You will notice lots of fish markets in Agropoli being a seaside town and all. We loved this town, not too big yet large enough to find everything we needed.

Wednesday, we ventured out a little further, this time we went to Paestum Ruins by bus. You can take the train of course, but with the buses right on the main road and more frequent, this worked out better for us. Also the bus lets you off practically at the entrance, however by train you would have to walk from the train station. You buy the return bus ticket from a place called Anna's. We enjoyed the ruins and the museum and what some people say takes only 1 hour and a half to visit, we took our time and spent 4 hours there. When we got back to Agropoli, we found the train station and purchased in advance our return tickets to Pompei for the next day.

Thursday, took the 8:42 AM train to Pompei (about 1 hour ride) and walked about 10 minutes to the entrance. A vendor near the entrance tried to tell us that you cannot buy water at the site....False, don't listen. In fact, in addition to selling water at the cafeteria, you can just refill your own at several places which is indicated as Potable (drinking) water. Pompei was wonderful, very large, and hot (no breezes) with uneven walking surfaces so wear your comfy shoes. Although, we were there only 1 day, it would be easy to spend 2 days there.

Friday, we headed for the Almafi coast, taking the train to Salerno at 8:42 again, arriving around 40 minutes later and walked straight out of the train station towards the water. Went down to the Marina and caught the 10:40AM boat to Positano. Took about 1hour 10 mins, including a stop in Almafi first. Positano is absolutely lovely from the water and not to be missed. As soon as we disembarked from the boat, we purchased our return boat tickets for 3:30 PM. We really enjoyed walking the narrow alleys and streets, bought lots of great gifts and had a nice lunch a balcony terrace. We got our boat back to Salerno and took the 5:55PM train back to Agropoli. Note that on the AM boat it was quite windy and cool on the top deck, so bring a windbreaker or sweater.

That night, we decided to have dinner at Anna's Pizza, it was really good as the reviews had said, everything fresh and tasty and inexpensive to boot. Worth skipping the included hotel meal!

The next two days we just hung around Agropoli, doing more shopping. Found that clothes were either very inexpensive or over the top designer expensive but not much else in between. The funny thing, is that there most of the cheap clothing is made in Italy and not China as we see at home.

Agropoli turned out to be a good place to stay for the places we wanted to see even if it meant taking some public transit. We were always glad to get back to the ocean breezes and comforting town after a day of sightseeing.

7 replies to this topic
Virginia
reviews: 1
1. Re: Agropoli Trip Report - one week in June

Thanks for this report--I like staying in less visited towns as well. Were you able to do any other exploring in the immediate vicinity of the town? I wanted to stop there but we were staying further south (in Pisciotta) and did not want to have to change from train to bus. I was pleasantly surprised at how much we were able to do with public transportation overall.

Montreal
2. Re: Agropoli Trip Report - one week in June

Unfortunately, with only 1 week plus the fact that we really had our hearts set on Pompei, Paestum and Positano, we did not go anywhere else. Some people at our hotel did a boat tour of some nearby grottos (caves) which they really enjoyed.

Destination Expert
for Naples
reviews: 13
3. Re: Agropoli Trip Report - one week in June

I'm curious about how you chose Agropoli as your place to stay. It's not a typical resort location, and it's quite far from Pompei and the Amalfi coast, so what drew you there?

Laval, Canada
4. Re: Agropoli Trip Report - one week in June

I just read your comments re Agropoli, we are leaving in October for 3 weeks, it looks easy to travel by train or but, is it easy to communicate at the station in order to buy tickets for various destinations.

Montreal
5. Re: Agropoli Trip Report - one week in June

It was not too bad. We always bought our tickets in advance at the Agropoli train station. You just need to know the name of the place where you want to go and that is pretty much it. And I managed to convey that we needed return tickets using my hands. The ticket they sell you does not have a date or time so no need to worry about that since you validate the ticket (using a machine) on the platform just before boarding.

Hope you have a great trip!

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
6. Re: Agropoli Trip Report - one week in June

Thanks for your report and Agropoli sounds like a good tip for visiting the surrounding areas.

7. Re: Agropoli Trip Report - one week in June

Hi,

I'm going to Agropoli in September so I'm happy to find this post, it's detailed and useful. I've seen a lot of photos of Cilento coastline made from boats and they're great. But I cannot find any reliable infromation on boat tours \ excurecions from Agropoli. Don't you know if such tours are available in mid-September? What could be the price?

Thank you

Reply to: Agropoli Trip Report - one week in June
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted