We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency Exchange

Which Stalis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
Currency Exchange

Hi, I've just been speaking to thomsons about buying euros from them for my holiday to Crete and they have basically told me that because the Greek economy is suffering at the moment it's really difficult to get people to cash travellers cheques out there and have advised me to take all cash which I'm not really comfortable with. Has anyone had any issues with travellers cheques and is it easy to get money from an ATM with a travel money card? Thanks

Wirral, United...
reviews: 6
1. Re: Currency Exchange

This year we are taking about €700 cash and the rest on the cash pre pay cards they are easy to use in cash points also some shops and eateries and bars ect think this is a better option then travellers cheques for us we will also take our credit card just in case and have out cash cards in case of a emergency too xx

Surrey
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
reviews: 135
2. Re: Currency Exchange

Hi there

My advice would also be to take all euros cash with you - cash is king in Greece and we have taken cash with us for many years to where ever we travel to in Greece, although some of the shops and restaurants will accept the pre pay cards, they would much prefer cash.

Just off to Crete on Sunday and will be taking around £2k in euros cash with us

Not sure why you aren't comfortable with taking cash? as long as your accommodation has a safe then its fine - and saves the hassle of having to find a ATM all the time :-)

england
reviews: 18
3. Re: Currency Exchange

We normally take cash , but would recommend you check your travel insurance policy to see what levels of cash you are covered for ? If the unlikely thing happened and you lost the cash you would want to be covered

Kingswinford...
reviews: 5
4. Re: Currency Exchange

I'm taking euros and some £ as spare cash. Will it be easy to exchange £ for euros there? Either in hotel or change bureau?

5. Re: Currency Exchange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 07, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Stalis