We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horrible Drive

Which Santa Elena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
La Fortuna de San...
reviews: 7
Horrible Drive

I wish I had not come here. I never could have imagined that the roads could be this bad. Maybe if people stop coming because of the stupid roads the merchants will push for action. SE is a weird little town with nothing to miss and everything is badly over-priced. Not at all worth the hype.

30 replies to this topic
Orlando, Florida
reviews: 33
21. Re: Horrible Drive

We rented what we thought was an upgrade and turned out to be a piece of crap Daihatsu 4X4. It rattled like we thought it was falling apart every time we took it above 80 KPH on the highway.

But when we got to the rutted dirt road on the way to Monteverde it did great. And on the way down, with a little more experience behind me, it did even better. It was pouring down rain on our way out and we could almost see the ruts and potholes getting deeper as we went. It was all part of the adventure as long as we lived to tell about it.

If you want smooth roads I hear they have some on the way to Disneyworld, less than an hour from where we live, but I couldn't verify as I've never had an interest in going there.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 9
22. Re: Horrible Drive

Who did you rent from, Regomatic?

Orlando, Florida
reviews: 33
23. Re: Horrible Drive

Budget.

I think it was about $600 for 10 days.

The first day, when we were on the highway, trying to get to our first destination ASAP, I was thinking we were hosed, but it turned out to be pretty good by the end of the trip.

Mi Wuk Village...
24. Re: Horrible Drive

OP.. perhaps you would be better off going to one of the Mexican mega resorts owned by the cartels.

As to the Daihatsu comment... they all rattle. Built that way.

Hoofddorp, The...
reviews: 11
25. Re: Horrible Drive

I cant fully agree with that, we have been to Santa elena and we found a place to stay at the local family run lodge and found a great Soda to eat which was inside a family house.. and yes there are some pretty tourist thing in the area.. ( you are in one of the most visited places in costa rica ), i have to say we loved the cloud forest and the drive from monteverde to arenal via Tilaran ... was not an easy ride but the option to stop anywhere you like and just enjoy the view... well worth it all..

If you get the chance again , try to give it a chance... and by the way the place to eat called Soda bonanza - http://goo.gl/HL4Kjh , not far from the center of santa elena ... small place with so much good and cheap fresh food...

Seattle
reviews: 23
26. Re: Horrible Drive

Can I take bus from San José to Monteverde/Santa Elena? If so, is a rental car necessary to get around in Monteverde/SE? Is there any public transportation?

Also, if we are staying in Santa Elena, is a day trip to Arenal possible? Or is that too far or take too long?

Seattle
27. Re: Horrible Drive

It is possible to take a bus from San José to Monteverde/Santa Elena, isn't it? If so, is there a way to get around once there without renting a car?

Also, is it feasible to take a day trip to Arenal from Santa Elena, or is that too far?

Seattle
28. Re: Horrible Drive

Sorry about the double post. I got a message saying my posting failed, but now I see that two appear.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 57
29. Re: Horrible Drive

Don't worry about double posts. It happens. And no, it is not possible to do Arenal (or vice versa) from Monteverde as a day trip.

Calgary, AB
reviews: 11
30. Re: Horrible Drive

We drove to Monteverde in 1998... now that was a road!!! It's a breeze now!!! We are excited to be leaving to CR on Friday and will visit the Osa peninsula. Can't wait!

Reply to: Horrible Drive
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted