We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Monteverde to Liberia

Which Santa Elena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tel Aviv, Israel
From Monteverde to Liberia

Is there a bus from Monteverde to Liberia? (without getting to San Jose). I read somthing about getting first to Sardinal or Rancho Grande, but it wasn't clear.

5 replies to this topic
Costa Rica
reviews: 24
1. Re: From Monteverde to Liberia

www.thebusschedule.com/cr/

There are frequent buses from San Jose to Liberia - about every hour - and also buses from Puntarenas to Liberia. So the best plan is to take the bus from Monteverde to Irma - this will be on Rt 1, the InterAmerican Highway. Then, just take whatever bus comes along that is going to Liberia. The bus will have "Liberia" on a sign in front so easy to spot.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
2. Re: From Monteverde to Liberia

Graet advice by Hattie and no echo this time!

roadadvisor

Tel Aviv, Israel
3. Re: From Monteverde to Liberia

Thank you !

I searched the buses schedule in the web, but I found out that there are only 2 buses which do this trail in the evening and in the morning, is it correct?

Costa Rica
reviews: 24
4. Re: From Monteverde to Liberia

rousa -- you will need to be a bit creative!

If you check the bus schedule and use "Monteverde" as the origin and "Liberia" as the destination, you will get very little.

However, I would do the search in two parts. Search for buses from Monteverde to Irma. Irma is located on the InterAmerican Highway - Rt 1. There are buses going from San Jose and Puntarenas to Liberia all the time. So the best thing to do is take the bus from Monteverde to Irma and just get on the first bus that comes along Rt 1 that is going to Liberia.

The buses will all have a sign on the front that says "Liberia" so easy to see them coming. The buses will usually make a stop at the bus stop but you can always just flag them down if they look like they aren't going to stop. It's not as hard as it sounds - people do it all the time. There will probably be other people at the bus stop with you.

From Irma, it will be about 2 hours to Liberia.

The other way to go is Monteverde to Tilaran to Canas to Liberia. But I think the buses from Monteverde to Tilaran are limited. Buses from Canas to Liberia are frequent, however.

Tel Aviv, Israel
5. Re: From Monteverde to Liberia

Thank you very much for the informative answer

Reply to: From Monteverde to Liberia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted