We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WARNING! Monteverde Experts

Which Santa Elena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Elena, Costa...
WARNING! Monteverde Experts

The agency Monteverde Experts, in Santa Elena overcharges many of their tours and Ticabus tickets. Do not purchase anything from the man, Alberto Hérnandez.

We bought a round trip Ticabus ticket, San José- Managua, which cost $68 instead of the actual price $52. Instead, if you need to buy the ticket in Santa Elena, go to Costa Rica National bank where they only take a comission of a few dollars, if any.

We also got tricked into buying a tour for $55 instad of the actual price $27.

We also found out that he has done the same thing several times before and there have been many complaints!

Be aware!!

7 replies to this topic
San Jose, Costa Rica
1. Re: WARNING! Monteverde Experts

Thank you good advice!

roadadvisor

La Fortuna de San...
reviews: 114
2. Re: WARNING! Monteverde Experts

Thanks for letting us know...specifics are always appreciated!!!

Southern California
reviews: 19
3. Re: WARNING! Monteverde Experts

Thank you - this is helpful!

Manuel Antonio...
reviews: 11
4. Re: WARNING! Monteverde Experts

Thanks for sharing!!!

Costa Rica
reviews: 66
5. Re: WARNING! Monteverde Experts

Just so you know, most places will do that. The best thing to do is to visit the Monteverde Chamber of tourism because they are honest about all the prices. Every other place, specially most receptionists in hotels over charge every visitor. It is an awful and dishonest situation but it is a reality.

Also double check for environmentally friendly places only. Most places feed animals so tourist will see them and that is not ecological at all.

There are great places to visit but most visitors get tricked into going to not so great places because the receptionists deceive them to get money from the companies they recommend whether they are good or not. I would highly recommend places that are honest and care for the environment and are not just another business such as: The Bat Jungle, The Monteverde Cloud Forest Biological Preserve, Sky Adventures if you want to do some canopy activity safely, Original canopy Tour, San Bosco Orchid Garden, Santa Elena's Orchid Garden, The Herpetarium, Ficus Trails Bird Watching Tour, Ficus Trails Night Hike, El Trapiche Tour, Natural Wonders Tram, Lindora's Hot springs, The Hummingbird Gallery, and that's all I can honestly recommend right now.

New York City, New...
reviews: 19
6. Re: WARNING! Monteverde Experts

Zoet2015 or anyone else - you mention only monteverde reserve - do you have any thoughts on curri cancha reserve? I had read somewhere that it had more chance of seeing wildlife including quetzals but less beautiful forest. Is this correct? Any other thoughts?

Costa Rica
reviews: 66
7. Re: WARNING! Monteverde Experts

Sorry I did not read that message 'till today.

I don't have problems with Curicancha because it was one of the first properties that got protected for conservation in the area. The owner was a great person who helped local kids a lot but she also loved horses so a lot of the property has large pasture areas. Honestly i would say that the only places within the Monteverde area (were the unpaved road starts up to the preserve) on the Pacific slope worth going for wildlife are the Monteverde Cloud Forest Biological Preserve, Ficus Trails and Curicancha. This is in order of distance from the Preserve. The only other forest that is also worth visiting as a second option on the Caribbean side of Monteverde would be the Santa Elena Cloud Forest.. It all depends on the time you have and the season. Nesting season for birds like the quetzal is great in several places.

If I know how much time people have it would be easier for me to give you a priority list of things to do in the area. For instance, there are 134 mammal species and only 9 are active on day time. That's why Night Guided Walks were invented over 20 years ago and only two places in Monteverde have that kind of experience because only two guides are left from the original guides who started the first night hikes in Costa Rica. One is Ficus Trails and the Monteverde Cloud Forest preserve. Those two places for sure don't feed animals like most other places do.

Reply to: WARNING! Monteverde Experts
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted