We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Monteverde from Manuel Antonio

Which Santa Elena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco, CA
reviews: 5
Driving to Monteverde from Manuel Antonio

We (2 adults one 11 year old) are traveling to CR in February for 7 nights. The plan is to rent a car and drive but I am concerned about what I've read about road conditions in the Monteverde area. According to Fodor's, "The roads to the area are some of the worst in the country" yet "don't let that deter you from a visit". Our intinerary is SJ to Manuel Antonio then up to Santa Elena (Monteverde) and back through San Ramon to the airport. That time of year is purported to be warmer and drier so presumably driving will be the most optimal. I am also confused by one post (the reverse drive from Monteverde to MA) from 2007 which indicated it is a 5 hour drive (roads were in the process of being paved) while Google Maps says 2 1/2 hours. Have the roads been paved since then? Is it worth the effort and would you recommend Arenal over it? Part of the reason for going is to stay at Hidden Canopy. I have a detailed map so I'll be able to follow detailed comments.

31 replies to this topic
Montreal, Canada
31. Re: Driving to Monteverde from Manuel Antonio

The road from Tilaran to Santa Elena or Monteverde is about 41-43 km and in bad condition, but i did it today (January 13, 2014) in about 1h 45. From Santa Elena, if you want to go back to Arenal, you can take the same road. But if you want to go to Puntarenas, you can drive from Santa Elena on a dirty 606 road (18 km), then this road changes to paved beautiful road that takes you to PanAmerica.

I think this will help, as i told you i did it to day. Enjoy

Reply to: Driving to Monteverde from Manuel Antonio
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted