We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hidden Canopy Treehouses Boutique Hotel

Which Santa Elena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hanover, NH
reviews: 15
Hidden Canopy Treehouses Boutique Hotel

If you look at the review ratings, it appears Hidden Canopy is headed toward setting a record for perfect traveler reviews. My review for a visit in March, 2011, (Traveler4230) raves about Hidden Canopy and is fairly typical of the reviews given by other travelers.

Occasionally a traveler finds faults with Hidden Canopy. TripAdvisor allows owners to comment on negative reviews, but there is no provision in the Review section for other travelers to comment on them. I suppose this is good as it keeps the Review section from becoming a discussion forum.

Recently, a traveler's review suggested Hidden Canopy might be steering guests to particular tours because the Hidden canopy staff (in this case Cynthia, a wonderful person!) might be receiving some type of financial return from the recommended tours. The example of a zip line tour was referenced.

It is true that Selvatura and SkyTrek are the big name zip line tours in Monteverde/Santa Elena. It is also true Hidden Canopy recommends the Original Canopy Tour. I experienced both sides of this debate and, on balance, I think Hidden Canopy recommends the Original Canopy Tour not because of any financial arrangement but because they truly believe it provides a better tour with more personal service than the big name tours.

Please read my review of the Original Canopy Tour, which you can easily find by looking for reviews from Traveler4230.

Monteverde Costa...
reviews: 12
1. Re: Hidden Canopy Treehouses Boutique Hotel

Hey Traveler, As you say TA has no system to allow people to respond to other reviews. However in general you can mention items from past reviews to give your opinion versus what others have said.

I read your review and its great, well written and complete, and obviously you feel strongly enough to also post this clarification here on the forum.

From the reviews for Hidden Canopy it is obvious people love it just like you did.

Perfection is pretty hard and I think that not perfect reviews give a hotel owner feedback to be able to improve.

I would bet that Jenn the owner reads every one and that if there were any issues cropping up she will have it under control. I sure would not want to have to work as hard as she does.

Not all hotel owners here in Monteverde are as hands on as she is in my opinion from general observation here.

Good hotel owners that care about the experience of their guests will not allow steering people into something that would not be the best for them based on their interests, any physical issues or whatever. I think Jenn is one of the good ones. Obviously with 94% number 5 reviews that kind of speaks for itself.

Glad you had a good time in Monteverde and send more people down here please!!!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
2. Re: Hidden Canopy Treehouses Boutique Hotel

Thank you for bringing a nice decent topic to TA..

Most hoteliers they make some kind of commision from Tour Operators...I think is totally fine and correct...for me is not good when they increase the tour prices...of course this is not he case with Cinthya.

Some hotels based on volume they make some time as much as 30% per each tour they sale...not bad...when some tours are close to $ 100.00...

roadadvisor

3. Re: Hidden Canopy Treehouses Boutique Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 pm, May 05, 2011
Hanover, NH
4. Re: Hidden Canopy Treehouses Boutique Hotel

Before we went to Hidden Canopy my wife and I stayed at La Posada Private Jungle Bungalows in Manuel Antonio, a more modest but also excellent hotel.

La Posada is very open with their guests about tour commissions. They apparently receive about $10 for every $60 or so tour they book, which means $20 if they book a couple for for two tours. In return, they split their commissions with their guests. My wife and I received $10 off on each tour we booked through La Posada.

I think almost any tour company would give La Posada this level of commission, so they are not recommending less desirable tours to their guests just to get a commission. in fact, we enjoyed our tours and I think we received an added benefit because La Posada knows and recommends the best tours in each category.

Los Alamitos...
reviews: 49
5. Re: Hidden Canopy Treehouses Boutique Hotel

Can children stay at this facility? I was informed by a tour company that because I would be travelling w/ my 10yr old we aren't able to stay there.

Thx.

Hanover, NH
6. Re: Hidden Canopy Treehouses Boutique Hotel

Your travel agent is correct. My recollection from our visit to Hidden Canopy is that Jennifer King, the owner, prefers to focus on a more adult environment and tries to limit children to those age ten and over.

If your child is ten you should be able to stay at Hidden Canopy. To explain the situation a little more, two of the six rooms at Hidden Canopy are in the beautiful high end resort-type home Jenn has built for herself and her guests. If you stay in one of these rooms you will be sharing Jenn's own home with her and her guests, and her two very well behaved cats! Jenn also has two very will behaved dogs who live "outside" and are not in the house. I put "outside" in quotes because Jenn has built private retreat quarters for both her dogs and her cats, so they can escape to their own privacy whenever they wish.

Other guests will come in from their luxurious craftsman quality treehouse suites to enjoy the wonderful patio dining for breakfast and afternoon "tea", to use the computer, reading room and upstairs "view" patio, and to talk to Jenn and her staff about the best tours in the area. These guests will expect a quiet conversational environment, without young children chasing each other or the cats!

If you stay in one of the fantastic treehouse suites, nestled within the rainforest canopy, you will have your own private world and children will not bother anyone, although they do need to be a little more "adult" when they visit the main house!

If you do stay at Hidden Canopy I'm sure you will love your stay. Be sure and take the Original Canopy Tour - they are great with children, offering lots of special attention! Also take the night time animal and sleeping bird tour!

Hanover, NH
7. Re: Hidden Canopy Treehouses Boutique Hotel

Oops! My first sentence above is not right. Your travel agent is correct that Hidden Canopy does not allow young children, but NOT correct that a ten year old cannot stay there.

Hidden Canopy's Web site says children need to be age ten or older.

Los Alamitos...
8. Re: Hidden Canopy Treehouses Boutique Hotel

Thank you for the help. As much as I would love to stay there I think I may do it on a later visit. This visit we need to be on a budget and are considering staying at a B & B.

I did email Jen but have not heard back as of this time.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
9. Re: Hidden Canopy Treehouses Boutique Hotel

Thank you...to bad...for some people are better...cat and dogs than kids...well we learn somenthing everyday !

But still a nice palce!

roadadvisor

Los Alamitos...
10. Re: Hidden Canopy Treehouses Boutique Hotel

Roadadvisor:

Definitely understand why some people prefer cats/dogs over kids. There are definitely times that my son drives me up the wall but I wouldn't trade him for anything. He is my heart :)