We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Up, up and away!

Which Tambor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mobile, Alabama
reviews: 52
Up, up and away!

Hi. Husband and I are celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary Jan. 9, 2012. We are flying into SJ Jan. 6, returning home Jan. 16. Flight arrives SJ at 12:55. Planning on flying to Tambor and renting a car from there. We are staying in Mal Pais at Moana. Our flight home leaves SJ at 1:50. There is a Sansa flight out of Tambor at 10:55 putting us in SJ at 11:20. Is this enough time for our 1:50 flight home? One more question. On Sansa, are they strict about luggage weight? We are light packers (may or may not check luggage) and will have just one piece of luggage each. Looking forward to seeing a part of the world that we have not ever seen! Thanks for your help!

5 replies to this topic
San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
1. Re: Up, up and away!

My God...nice palce to celebrate thet great anniversary...incredible beaches...

Your plans are great plans...congratulations...everything make sense...renting the car...great idea...

If SANSA keep the schedule at 10:55 and arrives in SJO at 11:20am that will be plenty time to check into your International flight!

roadadvisor

Mobile, Alabama
2. Re: Up, up and away!

Yahoo! Gracias! Waiting for Sansa to post there next flight schedule. It is now only posted through November 2011. Will our one piece of luggage each be OK? Ready for the adverture to begin!

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 14
3. Re: Up, up and away!

Yes Sansa are strict about baggage. The allowances are given on their website

www.flysansa.com/eng/tri/bag/bagbagpol.asp…

Checked baggage permitted: 1 piece with maximum weight of 30 lbs./14 kgs and up to 45 linear inches / 114 cm. (length + height + width)

Just in case you end up flying natureair, their allowances are a bit different - the lower the fare the less baggage allowed.

www.natureair.com/baggage-allowances.aspx

However if you travel light it should be no issue

raquel

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
reviews: 10
4. Re: Up, up and away!

Congratulations on your 30th Anniversary! and for choosing such a lovely place to spend it!

You are safe to wait until SANSA comes out with their new schedule before you make your reservations!

I fly SANSA often and they have a number of flights in the morning out of Tambor.

There are weight restrictions on SANSA and everyone and everything is weighed! It will cost you if you have overweight luggage. I have seen all kinds of luggage, boxes, surf boards etc checked-in and people pay for it! The flight is quick and often very interesting!

I have never been on a late SANSA flight and have often left early if everyone with reservations is accounted for and the plane is ready to go it will leave!! SANSA is a short walk from the SJO international terminal.

The sooner you get checked in for your flight home, the better....you will have to spend some time paying your exit fees before you check-in and then getting through security is often slow and the time of day you are flying out of SJO is busy! Although you do have two hours to get checked in, sometimes it could take forever to get to your gate!

Mobile, Alabama
5. Re: Up, up and away!

Well, the first adventure in beautiful CR will be getting to MP! I had read about the weight restrictions for Sansa and Nature. Thirty pounds is pretty light at best. Nature is 40. They don't offer a midday flight. Just wondered if it was enforced. Thanks for that info.

So, now the big question what is the best way for us to get to MP. The return flight is an 11:20 one on Sansa not 10:55. I misread. So that is not enough time to make our 1:50 departure without concern. We also don't want to leave Tambor at 8:00 that morning and sit in the airport for several hours. Now looking at a private transfer round trip to Moana. Is there enough time to get to the ferry and across with the 12:55 arrival? Then on return, I think perhaps leaving Moana late in the morning and spending the night in San Jose? Is it possible to hire a private driver also as an option?

I also read about the water taxi, but not sure about that either.

After leaving Mobile at 6:00 a.m. on Jan. 6, we don't want to drive to MP ourselves, but wouldn't mind riding. I know the trip is very pretty with lots to see. We are excited about our trip.

Thanks for your input!

Reply to: Up, up and away!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted