We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at Tango Mar- activities? Need a car?

Which Tambor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC
reviews: 1
Staying at Tango Mar- activities? Need a car?

I will be staying at the Tango Mar at the end of this year. I plan on staying at the resort most of the time- but if I get bored, are there cities nearby? Things to do? Zipline? I do hear Montezuma is near by? Do I need a car?

Also- best way to get here? Hire a driver? Fly to Tambor and taxi?

Thanks!

San Jose, Costa Rica
1. Re: Staying at Tango Mar- activities? Need a car?

Good question...it is nice to have a car around there...nice to drive around...very nice...

You can fly to Tambor from San Jose it is a short fly, take a taxi ...and maybe get a car for a couple days...

roadadvisor

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
reviews: 13
2. Re: Staying at Tango Mar- activities? Need a car?

You really should go exploring while you are at Tango Mar! You can get a 'taste' of the real Costa Rica if you rent a vehicle and go on your own adventure tour!(you can arrange your rental through Tango Mar). Cobano is the nearest 'town' with bank, stores and restaurants. Montezuma is near by as is Santa Teresa and Mal Pais (also popular TA destinations). You can go zip lining, hiking at Cabo Blanco park, visit a butterfly farm, or just go driving and exploring loads of back roads and visit some very rural pueblos.

check out this site for more information:

www.nicoyapeninsula.com

Aston, PA
reviews: 12
3. Re: Staying at Tango Mar- activities? Need a car?

My husband and I go to Tambor every year. We always rent a car and drive there from the airport, but you can also fly into Tambor and rent a car there. If you dive or snorkel, I recommend you go to Curu. Their office is in Paquera. You can also walk the trails and see lots of wildlife. One of the things I like the most is when coming back from diving/snorkeling, the white faced monkeys usually come down out of the trees in droves because they know you will have fruit left over from the trip. You don't have to go diving or snorkelling. You can stay in Curu and walk the trails. Or, if Luis is taking divers/snorkelers to Tortuga, he can drop you off there for a relaxing day on the beach. They have a nice gift shop there. I think you can kayak there, too. I don't care much for Mal Pais or Santa Teresa. We had a tire punctured in Mal Pais and know of people on the beach that had their stuff stolen. I know, I know. It can happen any where! I will say it is a pretty area, especially if you drive along the coast. We always enjoy going into Montezuma. El Sano Banano has yummy food, and my husband loves their mocha chillers. The owners also own Yiang Yiang hotel (not sure of the spelling). It is up the beach and can be walked to, or you can get a ride via Sano Banano. You can not drive there yourself as the only access is via the beach. The food there is good, too. It is more upscale than Sano Banano. I also like some of the shops in Montezuma. There is a nice jewelry store with most of the jewelry made out of shells. And Montezuma has a wonderful zip line! Cobano is a bustling little town with a bank, internet cafe, hardware store, 2 supermarkets, gas stations, etc. As far as Tango Mar goes, we only stayed there once in 2003 when we went to look at property next door. We liked it. I especially liked the fact that a man with a cart driven by oxen walks the beach every morning cleaning up the driftwood. Their beach is very nice. We did eat there a few years ago, and the food was excellent. I was hesitant to try the lasagna, but it was great! I know you can book fishing trips through Tango Mar because my husband met someone staying there and he got invited to go. There is also a waterfall on the property you can walk to. If you do rent a car and want to eat in Tambor, I recommend the H & B hotel/restaurant. They have good food and are reasonably priced. Christina's is also good. There was a restaurant down at the dock. We haven't been there in several years. Their food was good, but I don't know if they are still open. So many places have closed there in the past couple of years due to the poor economy. But our friends there said people are starting to shop around for property, so perhaps things are looking up. In any event, Tambor is where we plan on retiring in 2 years.

4. Re: Staying at Tango Mar- activities? Need a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, February 08, 2013