We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the ferry/bus transfer like?

Which Tambor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 2
What's the ferry/bus transfer like?

Hi, I'm planning a trip to Tambor and wondering what the 4 1/2 hour ferry and bus transfer is like from San Jose to Tambor? Is it scenic at least? Any pros/cons as opposed to the 20 minute flight option?

Any advice would be appreciated. thanks

San Francisco...
reviews: 5
1. Re: What's the ferry/bus transfer like?

I hope someone answers because I was also wondering what there is to do while you wait for the ferry. Are there any nearby places/shops to explore?

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 17
2. Re: What's the ferry/bus transfer like?

I did this a few years back - so maybe things have changed. So hopefully someone else will chime in.

I assume you are talking about taking the bus from San Jose to Puntarenas and then taking the ferry to Paquera and then another bus...

We did this when we went from San Jose to Montezuma. We started out in mid afternoon - due to the time of our flight.

Anyway - the bus to Puntarenas does not stop at the ferry dock area. So first we had to take a cab. By the time we got from A to B and then figured out where to buy the ferry tickets, we just managed to miss a ferry... So we had a couple of hours to kill till the next one. As I remember there were a few shops and restaurants in the area, but nothing that exciting.. We sat somewhere and had a drink for a while..

Then in our case, since it was late, we ended up taking a taxi from Paquera to Montezume - where we were heading. But earlier in the day there are buses waiting.

On the way back I remember that there was a restaurant in the Paquera ferry terminal.

If I were you I would check into the bus from the Coca Cola bus station to Montezuma. There are a few each day that are sort of direct. They are timed with the ferry and basically you don't have to worry about the connections and avoid some of the hassle. I suspect that if you asked, the bus would let you off along the road near Tambor as it goes from pretty much near there as it goes from Paquera to Montezuma.. But to be sure

I would check with someone who takes this bus frequently like forum member yellabrickcr DE for Montezuma.

If I knew then what I know now.....

pura vida

raquel

San Jose, Costa Rica
3. Re: What's the ferry/bus transfer like?

It is a nice ride...car and boat...you will see a lot of the Nicoya Islands...in my humble opinion it is worth it...of course if you are not in a hurry!

roadadvisor

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 2
4. Re: What's the ferry/bus transfer like?

Thank you everyone!

Stratford, Canada
5. Re: What's the ferry/bus transfer like?

I have stayed at the Barcelo Tambor 7 times, since 1997 and have done both the land/ferry transfer and the air, it certainly is quicker by air but you really see a lot of the country side by land/ferry, my choice would be to do it once each way. It's almost like a free tour. Enjoy your stay.

Turin, Barcelona...
reviews: 3
6. Re: What's the ferry/bus transfer like?

Hi, i did it some days ago (even if my destination was Montezuma).

The bus to Puntarenas will leave you far from the ferry departure site, so you may want to take a cab to cross the town (5 minutes, ~ 1.300 Colones = ~2.5 US$).

It will leave you at the dock , the ticket office is just in front of the dock, not very visible. The ferry ride is 1 hr aprox and my suggestion is to get ready to disembark quickly because the buses waiting for the ferry fill up very quickly. Ask immediately for your destination and chuck your luggage at the back of the truck, they don't use the side luggage holds... don't worry to pay now, you can pay at the end if you want or they will find you! :-)

Enjoy the dusty ride.. :-)

Edited: 8:44 am, February 17, 2011
7. Re: What's the ferry/bus transfer like?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 30, 2012