We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planned trip to San Giovanni Rotondo in June

Which San Giovanni Rotondo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Planned trip to San Giovanni Rotondo in June

We are planning to go to San Giovanni Rotondo upon disembarking in Civitavecchia Port on June 16. Any advice on how to go about this will be much appreciated. I 've read that we could take a train up to Foggia, but where will we find this? Thanks so much!

5 replies to this topic
philly burbs
reviews: 1
1. Re: Planned trip to San Giovanni Rotondo in June

We just returned from Italy and went to SGR from Rome. We booked, in advance, the fast train from trenitalia from Roma TE station. It leaves around 8 in the morning and you take it to Foggia. upon arrival in Foggia, you go to the booth near the exit doors( towards left middle) and ask for roundtrip tickets for the sita bus to San Giovanni rotondo. . You walk out the door, cross a small street and in front of a small bar, but to the left of the bar,you will see where you wait for the bus. There is a sign that says SITA and it will list SGR as a stop. There are not many trains from Rome each day, but you will have to check what other times there are. FYI, the bus takes less than 1 hr from Foggia to SGR.

Los Angeles...
2. Re: Planned trip to San Giovanni Rotondo in June

Thanks for your help. The problem is we will disembark at Civitavecchia at 6AM; not sure how soon we can leave for Rome & then another problem: how to get from the port to the Train Station? Where can I find their schedule...in English? Thank you so much!

philly burbs
reviews: 1
3. Re: Planned trip to San Giovanni Rotondo in June

I do not know how to get from the port to the train station in Rome but if you put in a search on Tripadvisor, you will find out how to get to the station near the port, which I presume will take you to Roma Termini station, where you would take the train to Foggia. I think I remember reading that the station near the port is a 10 or 15 minute walk, so if that is the case, you can probably just take a cab there as well. http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html is th website I used to book all 5 of my train rides in advance. You do not need to do this for a regional train, but the regional train will add at least an hour if not more to your trip to foggia. The fast trains(frecciargento or frecciarossa) are the way to go! If the english version does not automatically turn up when you copy the link I just gave you, just look for a british flag and click on that for english. I never had to do that while using this link, but you might possibly be directed to a different part of the website. There are only 2 fast trains and one slow train from ROma Te to Foggia daily, as far as I can see. It is so easy to prebook your seats. I just let them choose the seats for me and I was always seated next to my husband. 2nd class is fine and more than adequate. I chose the option that sent me a PNR code which they scan on the train--no need for a hard copy of a ticket. I do not recall what they call this option while making reservations. The info you get will tell you your PNR code, as well as the train number. When you get to the station at Roma Te, you will look on the boards posted to see what track your train will be on. When you find that out, you line up in front of the carriage you will be on which is also posted on the info you get with the PNR code.

Los Angeles...
4. Re: Planned trip to San Giovanni Rotondo in June

Thanks so much for your help! ( Sorry, this is late!)

meath,
reviews: 7
5. Re: Planned trip to San Giovanni Rotondo in June

hi,

i am planning a similar trip with family members for next march and i would appreciate if you could give me an idea of the cost of train fares for this trip. All other info very helpfull. thank you

Reply to: Planned trip to San Giovanni Rotondo in June
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted