We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is PR/Luquillo safe??

Which Luquillo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
West Hartford...
reviews: 127
is PR/Luquillo safe??

I was in Luquillo many years ago and would like to go back, but have read a number of warnings about traveling to PR. We'd be flying into SJU and renting a car and driving to Luquillo, with day trips to the rain forest, etc.

We don't carry a lot of valuables, other than a small laptop and high-end camera (one body, two lenses). I normally keep the laptop and camera gear in a backpack.

I know all of the "common sense" safety rules about traveling with valuables, but am worried that PR has become a dangerous place, beyond the normal precautions.

Are my fears unfounded - should I not worry about PR any more than any other place?

thanks,

bert

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
reviews: 11
1. Re: is PR/Luquillo safe??

Yes, we do have a lot more crime, such as shootings, break ins, but with such bad Economy it's everywhere not just P. R.. Lot's of crimes are drug related and not really in Tourist areas or places Tourists visit. We had a murder in a Hotel, but it had nothing to do with Tourists. I don't wear jewlery ( or make sure it's not visible) on the beach or walking around. I change my flashy camera for an disposable one. I am aware of my suroundings and feel reasonable safe.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
reviews: 42
2. Re: is PR/Luquillo safe??

I agree with Bunny 100%. And to answer your question, no, you should not worry about PR any more than any other place. Crime exists everywhere, and we must exercise caution even in our familiar surroundings. My suggestion to you is keep your camera and laptop with you at all times, and if they must be left inside the car, make sure that they're not visible to avoid a break in.

Although crime in PR is mostly drug-related, there are some instances in which some of us are affected by it. In that case, we must remember that the same could very easily happen at any other destination, and even at home.

San Juan
reviews: 3
3. Re: is PR/Luquillo safe??

your fears are not unfounded, 2010 was a crime record breaking year (see link below) and sadly this year is going to break last year's record by a lot.

To be honest, i have never seen things so terribly bad, one of my close friends was a victim of crime in a street close to Condado, another neighboor of mine too in the middle of the day close to a very popular restaurant in san juan, crime here it is way out of control compared to other places in the same region like Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Islands: Antigua, Dominica, Cuba and Grenada . Today in the front page: two young athletes killed near a very popular pub. Ten years ago most victims were drug related victims, now many innocent people are dying, this is really terrible what is going on in Puerto Rico.

…about.com/b/2010/01/08/crime-rates-rise-in-…

San Juan
4. Re: is PR/Luquillo safe??

I agree with Bunny and Paris. You can face crime in any country or region of the world. Take the normal precaution as you would do in your hometown. Leave your laptop at the hotel's safe and don't wear flashy jewelry, leave diamonds at home and keep your camera with you (do not leave on picnic tables, beach chairs, etc ...) and enjoy our island to its fullest !

West Hartford...
reviews: 127
5. Re: is PR/Luquillo safe??

Thanks for all of the posts.

The link (…about.com/b/2010/01/08/crime-rates-rise-in-…) speaks mostly of drug-related crimes, but also touches on non-drug crime. Most travel involves high-risk of petty crime - pickpockets in Europe, car break-ins in many of the islands, etc, but the serious crime in the Caribbean, combined with driving off-the-beaten-path, is what worries me a bit more than usual.

I'm a photographer, and traveling without a (somewhat expensive) camera would be difficult, if not impossible!

Thanks,

bert

San Juan
6. Re: is PR/Luquillo safe??

There are exceptiones, but non-drug crimes in PR are related to family related abuse ... "machismo" or prostitution.

You'll be as safe as in your home state, and will be able to get spectacular views!

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
reviews: 42
7. Re: is PR/Luquillo safe??

Thanks, CoquiPR. That's quite a warm welcome to PR visitors.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
reviews: 14
8. Re: is PR/Luquillo safe??

CoquiPR is entitled to their opinion. TA is not a PR Tourism site.

My husband and I do a lot of off the beaten path stuff. It is all common sense stuff we do anywhere. We try to park where other people are parked (if possible). We make sure to leave nothing in the car, and leave it open, so if anyone feels the need to check it out, they don't have to break into it. If anyone is around, I will ask them about the safety of the area before heading out.

The only thing we do special here in PR is we avoid walking alone on the beaches after dark. (Of course, I don't know it that is safe to do other places now either!).

Edited: 8:30 am, September 08, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 27
9. Re: is PR/Luquillo safe??

Who said TA is a PR Tourism site????

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
reviews: 14
10. Re: is PR/Luquillo safe??

What I meant is that not everyone has to answer in such a way so potential visitors to PR feel warm and fuzzy. If someone has a dissenting opinion, then they are entitled to give it without fear of attack. I think that is what TA is about- many people's opinions about an asked question. All answers or comments don't have to be pro-PR or encouraging everyone to come to PR.