We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't speak Spanish = problem?

Which Uvita hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boulder, Colorado
reviews: 1
Don't speak Spanish = problem?

Five of us are traveling to Costa Rica around the New Year. None of us speak Spanish. Will this be a big problem? Should we invest in Rosetta Stone or a good translation dictionary?

Thanks!!

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
1. Re: Don't speak Spanish = problem?

There is a pocket book of Costa Rica Spanish I would recommend getting amazon.com/Costa-Rican-Spanish-Pocket-Globet… Spanish from country to country is a bit different, so go for a Costa Rica specific phrase book, there are several.

Not to worry not knowing the language. Costa Rican people are very patient.

Cheers

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 26
2. Re: Don't speak Spanish = problem?

all i have is sesame street spanish and i've never been lost, hungry or thirsty. you might want to get the basics though, try www.skypespanishtutor.com

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
3. Re: Don't speak Spanish = problem?

Sorry, this was the book I was thinking of in particular amazon.com/Lonely-Planet-Costa-Spanish-Phras…

nj
reviews: 3
4. Re: Don't speak Spanish = problem?

I have learned a lot through www.spanishdict.com. Free video lessons w\ flashcards and all that. Dictionary to look up specifics. They even have an app to download to look stuff up on the go.

Edited: 5:20 pm, November 23, 2012
Boulder, Colorado
reviews: 1
5. Re: Don't speak Spanish = problem?

Wonderful, thank you thank you.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
6. Re: Don't speak Spanish = problem?

Do not worry...we love to practice our broken English...

Roadadvisor

London, England...
reviews: 81
7. Re: Don't speak Spanish = problem?

roadadvisor is spot on, most costa ricans have passable to excellent English and those that don't are very patient. Try to pick up and use a few decent phrases early on, make some effort, but don't worry yourself about it.

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
reviews: 59
8. Re: Don't speak Spanish = problem?

Not a big problem but I also highly recommend Incás suggestion of the Costa Rican phrase book. Especially helpful is the section dedicated to "decoding menu" and it truly is necessary to learn road signage too. The book is FULL of useful information!

9. Re: Don't speak Spanish = problem?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, December 16, 2013