We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

overnight options? SJO to Uvita

Which Uvita hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 11
overnight options? SJO to Uvita

Coming to CR Easter week. Our flight gets in @ 1:30pm. Pretty sure if we drove straight though to Uvita it would be partly in darkness and we'd miss some nice views. We'd rather break it up and were wondering if anyone had any ideas about an interesting/beautiful area to stay within a couple of hours from airport on the road to Uvita. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 20
1. Re: overnight options? SJO to Uvita

There are 2 routes to Uvita but I think it might be a mistake to try the Pan Am to San Isidro and then Uvita. You probably won't get into a rental car until 3 and that highway fogs up in the afternoon making driving difficult in the mountains. If you choose that rout you could stop near San Gerardo de Dota at Savegre Lodge or Trogon Lodge. Instead I'd recommend you head for Manuel Antonio for an overnite. Its 3 hours from the airport, you should get there before dark and you can continue on to Dominical and Uvita in the morning.

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
reviews: 28
2. Re: overnight options? SJO to Uvita

In my opinion staying in Manuel Antonio as a stop over on the way to Uvita is sort of pointless as at this stage you are only 50 min away from Uvita on a straight new Coastal Highway, might as well just continue to Uvita. If you want to break up the trip and have a scenic rout (through Cloud forests, etc) it would be the Pan American Highway through San Isidro, but it can get foggy and rainy in the afternoons. An idea would be to drive to Orosi Valley (near Cartago about 1 hour from the airport) and stay in Sanchiri Lodge (my favourite) or another reputed hotel in the area (TripAdvisor lists many) and continue in the morning with the Pan American highway.

San Jose, Costa Rica
3. Re: overnight options? SJO to Uvita

You can do it the whole drive in about 4 hours...I honestly think is not necessary to split the trip at all...

roadadvisor

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 11
4. Re: overnight options? SJO to Uvita

Thanks for the ideas! I'm sure whatever we choose will work out.

5. Re: overnight options? SJO to Uvita

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, October 16, 2012