We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Howler Monkey Hotel

Which Cabuya hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Walhalla, South...
Howler Monkey Hotel

If anyone has stayed here, how did you pay? We love in the US and my friend is wary about paying the deposit through Western Union.

6 replies to this topic
Costa Rica
reviews: 26
1. Re: Howler Monkey Hotel

I would not send the full amount through Western Union, but sending a deposit is a different thing. Some of the smaller places don't have credit card capabilities so it's not that unusual to send a deposit by Western Union.

If you are concerned, you can always book through booking.com.

waterloo,ON
reviews: 6
2. Re: Howler Monkey Hotel

Ask them to do it through PayPal, anyone that has access to the internet has access to PayPal. Its more secure for both of you

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
3. Re: Howler Monkey Hotel

Did they refuse to take a credit card? I'd try to insist if that makes you feel safer.

I don't about assuming the hotel know what paypal is (although I know a few of the banks in Costa Rica were trying to get connected in 2011). I've only every used one hotel in Costa Rica that used PayPal (and that was my Jan 2014 trip).

My experience is that most want a charge card to confirm the room (and they'll charge you the full price if you don't show); Costa Rica is a lot more fussy on this stuff than in the US. Some Costa Rica hotels make you fax them a copy of the card and ID (I've even had some ask for passport).

I've seen many Costa Rica hotels just put their bank account number on-line, tell you to pay and fax/email a copy of the receipt with your reservation. It appears to be a normal way to send money to friends and pay bills in Costa Rica (not the way we do it in the US); my ex-GF used to do things that way a lot.

I've never noticed Western Union before for places, but as long as they took a credit card, I probably wouldn't have given it much thought.

I've never stayed at the Howler Monkey Hotel but I've met lots of travelers staying there over the years and I don't recall anyone complaining (other than about the howling monkeys!).

Gary

4. Re: Howler Monkey Hotel

Haha! I should read my posts before I hit the send button! Thanks for the speedy responses! Jim, the owner, said he could take a credit card but only in person. I'm sure you guys are familiar with the big warning to stay away from people using Western Union. Her concern comes from an aunt who paid for a beach house once using WU and got totally ripped off.

We can do it through paypal but weren't sure if that was safer and considered booking it through Priceline.com or booking.com as well.

Do you all feel it's necessary to even book in advance? This is our first time and we only have a week. We will be there in June so I'm assuming things will be busy.

5. Re: Howler Monkey Hotel

Haha! I should read my posts before I hit the send button! Thanks for the speedy responses! Jim, the owner, said he could take a credit card but only in person. I'm sure you guys are familiar with the big warning to stay away from people using Western Union. Her concern comes from an aunt who paid for a beach house once using WU and got totally ripped off.

We can do it through paypal but weren't sure if that was safer and considered booking it through Priceline.com or booking.com as well.

Do you all feel it's necessary to even book in advance? This is our first time and we only have a week. We will be there in June so I'm assuming things will be busy.

reviews: 1
6. Re: Howler Monkey Hotel

June in Cabuya shouldn't be too crowded, and Howler Monkey is off the beaten path a bit.

Reply to: Howler Monkey Hotel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cabuya