We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any reviews of La Floresta Beach house

Which Cabuya hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
elk
Any reviews of La Floresta Beach house

we are renting the beach house La Floresta in Cabuya this summer. Anyone ever stayed there and how was the experience?

19 replies to this topic
Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
11. Re: Any reviews of La Floresta Beach house

Also, I'm sorry you got robbed and felt the need to leave the country and abandon the rental that you reserved. But none of that is Claudia's fault.

You listed 3 problems and numbered them:

1+2) Whatever someone charges for a rental of a car or a ride is not a ripoff, you don't have to rent it from them. You seem SO unhappy with all the information before you even went (costs, directions, etc.) I'm not sure why you even rented from her.

3) Being robbed isn't her fault.

D) I'm very confused about the money, it sounds like you canceled on the day your reservation started and Claduia only got $300 of payment? That rental would probably be pretty hard for her to rent in October at the last minute (and maybe November too). If you had paid a reservation deposit, she would have kept that since that's the whole purpose of the deposit. I assume the deposit was more than the $300 and rent for a month was $1000-$2000...

From the way you told the story, it sounds like you got off very cheap and Claudia lost out on a renter for a month or two....

Again, sorry you got robbed, that sours any experience...

Gary

Cabuya, Costa Rica
12. Re: Any reviews of La Floresta Beach house

Thanks Gary ,

for your support

and more happy Floresta Customers, gone come the cabuya way this season!

Best wishes

from cabuya

Claudia

Las Vegas, Nevada...
13. Re: Any reviews of La Floresta Beach house

Gary - call Alamo...with tax and insurances it is less than $35/day for a 2012 4X4. The lady at La Floresta won't rent it by the day for that, only by the month...and her car was 20 years old! She is scamming people, odds are the car would have some break-down and you would be stuck paying for it.

Just be safe and stay away from La Floresta and it's owner...I don't get anything for warning people, I am just trying to help others so that they don't get involved with dishonest people. I wish someone would have taken the time to post warnings so that I wouldn't have gotten ripped-off by this woman!

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
14. Re: Any reviews of La Floresta Beach house

I haven't seen a name brand place rent a car that cheap in 5 years and that time was rainy season too (and it's the only time I used Liberia, SJO is way easier). I'm usually there mid-November to May (not that long, that's just the range/times of year that I go) and I've checked prices a few times since then. Maybe it's a bit cheaper at that time (I usually use bus/shuttle).

I'm still confused how the scam worked. In your words, you refused to pay a deposit to hold your room and you didn't show up (which she would have kept the deposit since you didn't show up) so instead she kept your cleaning deposit. I'm assuming the $300 cleaning deposit was MUCH less then the deposit for the rental.

I asked for elaboration: I'll be clear this time. Did you pay her more than $300? How much did she want for the deposit?

Many many places in Costa Rica make you prepay for your hotel (tours and Ticos) and if you don't show, the room is paid for (no 4pm cancelation like in the US). So i would think a deposit for a rental would work the same way. If I rented a beach house in the US (I'd have to prepay) and them canceled the day I was supposed to arrive I wouldn't expect a refund. From your story it sounds like you didn't even cancel until the next day (or whenever you got back to the US).

Gary

15. Re: Any reviews of La Floresta Beach house

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:57 pm, November 10, 2013

16. Re: Any reviews of La Floresta Beach house

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:47 am, January 10, 2014

Golden, Colorado
17. Re: Any reviews of La Floresta Beach house

In response to the post calling Claudia a scam artist. This review seems really outrageously false. I just returned from staying at one of La Floresta's beautiful properties and found her guidance and recommendations to be invaluable as she has been in the country for over 20 years. She was always very fair and accommodating.

I plan on returning in June of this year. I realize that everyone has different experiences but this review was too harsh and possibly damaging.

Ginny

Golden, Colorado
18. Re: Any reviews of La Floresta Beach house

In response to the post calling Claudia a scam artist. This review seems really outrageously false. I just returned from staying at one of La Floresta's beautiful properties and found her guidance and recommendations to be invaluable as she has been in the country for over 20 years. She was always very fair and accommodating.

I plan on returning in June of this year. I realize that everyone has different experiences but this review was too harsh and possibly damaging.

Ginny

pennsylvania
reviews: 1
19. Re: Any reviews of La Floresta Beach house

I think it's necessary to chime in on this post. It's quite unfortunate Janice had such a bad experience with the theft and the cancelled trip. This of course is the worst part of the story. And, indeed, it is her story. However, having traveled to Costa Rica so many times, staying primarily in Montezuma in both hotel and house, I can honestly say everything Claudia did was legitimate. Keep in mind, she was giving suggestions to Janice about how to get to her place. Responsible travelers should always do research about travel and best ways to get anywhere. This information is readily available all over the internet. By the way, I just flew to Tambor on the small plane and it was $98. one way. Keeping the cleaning deposit is also just another way of keeping a deposit. Regardless of what it's called, it's a deposit. I rented a house in January in Montezuma and if I had cancelled, I would have lost my deposit of $450. this is 1/2 of the total. Although it's true Claudia would have had 2 months to get renters for December, most travelers to this area would have already made reservations since december is the high season. It's very very busy that time of year. Finally, I would love to rent a car here for $35 a day. That's a steal.

I have met Claudia on a few occasions, but it would be a misstatement to call her my friend. What I can say, though, is everyone who does know her well, knows she is one of the upstanding members of the community.

Janice, your attack on her character is simply wrong and hurtful.

Trish

Reply to: Any reviews of La Floresta Beach house
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cabuya
More Cabuya Topics