We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dudes GuestHouse in Jambiani

Which Jambiani hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Dudes GuestHouse in Jambiani

we are travelling to Zanzibar in september and staying at dudes house.

We have heard read great reviews on this stay.

Is there anything else we should know about?

Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
1. Re: Dudes GuestHouse in Jambiani

I am planning to stay there in November as well, the only thing I know is they don't have A/C.......and I am not sure if it's too hot in November.

Poznan, Poland
Level Contributor
207 posts
43 reviews
2. Re: Dudes GuestHouse in Jambiani

I have stayed there with my wife in January this year. We had great time. A couple of weeks later - when we were shooting material for a Polish TV show we actually used this place for one of the settings. Dude and Helle are great people, the place is beautiful, peaceful, quiet and very relaxing. It is true - there is no AC, but it was not a problem in our room (front of house) - the ocean breeze made the temperatures very comfortable. They make tasty, simple and fresh breakfast every day with hot rolls, fresh juice and eggs any way you like them made to order. Make sure to ask Dude to take you sailing on his boat - great experience, and do the Jambiani community tour (Dude will arrange it for you). Some nice, simple restaurants around. There is no WiFi at Dude's but next door there is a restaurant/bar (can't recall the name, but they will tell you) with decent WiFi. Take a good book – the front yard hammocks are just made for reading and napping:) Be prepared for short power shortages in the evenings. They happen everywhere on the island every other day and last for no more that 1-2 hours. Dude doesn’t use a generator but they will light an oil lamp on the porch then.

I have stayed in 6 or 7 different places during my 3 week trip to the island, some of them were very luxurious, but Dudes was the most memorable and friendly one. And Jambiani is probably the most tranquil place on the whole island. You made the right choice!

Feel free to ask any specific questions about this place

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Dudes GuestHouse in Jambiani

thank you for your reply.

i think air con is not a problem has the guesthouse is on the beach

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Dudes GuestHouse in Jambiani

Thank you for your amazing advice.

we cant wait to go to dudes.

we are staying in zanzibar for total of 2 weeks and withing this stay 5 nights at dudes.

do you recommend any reasonably priced all inclusive in nungwi and we are also going to visit stone town.

regards

daxa

Poznan, Poland
Level Contributor
207 posts
43 reviews
5. Re: Dudes GuestHouse in Jambiani

In Stone Town I have stayed at Warere Town House http://www.warere.com/ - great value for money place. The entrance is weird but once you are inside - great place (see my review) All rooms have AC which is a must in Stone Town. Larger rooms with balconies are worth these couple of extra $.

In Nungwi I stayed at two places (it was a working trip, so we have often changed the location): Mnarani Beach Cottages - I don't think I wrote a review. Very decent place, room with AC, small bathroom, porch, small swimming pool. Food was the downside, but on the other hand, I have only stayed there for one night and pretty much only slept there. The second place was a very luxurious and ridiculously expensive Essque Zalu Zanzibar – grandiose place! Like nothing else in Zanzibar. You do really feel like royalty there and they attend to every single detail of your stay. The prices are outrageous though. If you stay elswere in Nungwi you should vist Essque Zalu at least for a cocktail and admire its amazing architecture and service.

I never took an AI package in Zanzibar (although I do the often for example nn Egypt). There is so many great little hole in the wall restaurant along the shore that I didn’t feel like eating in the one place all the time. Most places serve beer in normal prices. Wine and spirits at the bars that serve them are expensive, but you can stock up in ST or even find a liquor store in Nungwi (ST is cheaper and the selection is wider). If you are going north to swim in ocean (Jambiani is very tidal) you should consider Kendwa. Nungwi is quite tidal as well. For me the north in general was too touristy and the strong division between resorts and local community too visible.

Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
6. Re: Dudes GuestHouse in Jambiani

If I only have 6 nights in Zanzibar, besides one day in Stone town, where should I spend the other 5 days? Jambiani or Uroa or Nungwi? Thanks~

Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
7. Re: Dudes GuestHouse in Jambiani

When you stayed at this types of guest house, where should you store your valuables when you go out for swimming? I don't think they have safety box inside the room....

This is my major concern as I always travel alone, and got no one to take care the passport..money..credit card and etc.

Do you have any idea?

Poznan, Poland
Level Contributor
207 posts
43 reviews
8. Re: Dudes GuestHouse in Jambiani

Well,

At Dudes I always just left them at the room and locked the door (or not). It’s a small ome and there are only other guests there and the owners (no more than 7-8 people together). When going for a day trip I typically take my camera, phone, wallet etc. with me. It is a small three guest bedrooms place. You see no strangers. I didn’t feel at any moment that it is less safe Europe. Of course - don't let your valuables on the porch or on the beach.

The first question - depends what you like. I enjoyed Jambiani for the most peaceful time of watching local life, reading, walking along the beach, tasting local specialties and enjoying peace and quiet. If you like seclusion and wildlife and are into snorkeling, and your budget allows – definitely try to get a reservation on Chumbe island and spend a night there. For a day on the sea with snorkeling, sailing and dolphin watching (not chasing) do the Safari Blue in the south of the Island. If you are into meeting other travelers, swimming in ocean with no tides in a more summer-resort type of atmosphere, dancing at night at the beach party - go to Kendwa. Also - take day trips. While in Stone Town make sure to visit Prison Island for the Turtles (cheap, 3 hour trip). Definitely do the Spice Tour (a must on Zanzibar - half a day).

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Dudes GuestHouse in Jambiani

this information is really useful.

we have booked at warere in stone town for 3 nights, do you recommend kendewe or nungwi?

daxa

Poznan, Poland
Level Contributor
207 posts
43 reviews
10. Re: Dudes GuestHouse in Jambiani

Can't help you here and tell you - go there or there. I am not an expert and it all depends of what you like. As I wrote: Kendwa is very party oriented, it's advantage is the lack of tides (almost) so you can swim in deep ocean almost all day. I liked the east coast the most. If I ever go back to Zanzibar I will go to Jambiani again and to Paje, and I will also do the Safari Blue (I enjoyed it a lot). Three days for ST is a lot. You really need one full day to see all the highlits (night market at fordhani gardens, marketplace, sultan palace, Afica house).

Make sure to plan some day trips while you are there (ST is a good base for spice tour, prison island and Safari Blue). I used Zanzibar Culture and Eco Tours for almost all my excursions and transfers - reliable, good, communication with Robert, competitive prices and willing to match better offers.

Get answers to your questions about Jambiani