We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tasting Brunello at Poggio Antico in Montalcino

Which Montalcino hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
reviews: 41
Tasting Brunello at Poggio Antico in Montalcino

While in Siena, we drove an hour to Montalcino and spent the morning at the fabulous Poggio Antico in Montalcino. The tour was fantastic and the Brunello even better! Highly recommend to others, here's a brief report with some photos from our day.

…blogspot.com/2012/11/a-trip-to-poggio-antic…

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, Antigua
reviews: 53
1. Re: Tasting Brunello at Poggio Antico in Montalcino

very nice. we were in Montalcino in may of this year, had a wonderful time. down to my last bottle of Brunello though.

regards

mark

San Francisco...
reviews: 2
2. Re: Tasting Brunello at Poggio Antico in Montalcino

we spent two weeks in Montalcino. got really spoiled!

Montepulciano, Italy
3. Re: Tasting Brunello at Poggio Antico in Montalcino

"Down to my last bottle of Brunello" - seven of the saddest words in the English language ...

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, Antigua
4. Re: Tasting Brunello at Poggio Antico in Montalcino

Have to agree with you. There are a couple of wine distributors here in Antigua, but not paying their asking price I'm afraid. While we were in Umbria I was very impressed with the Montefalco Sagrantino as well. Sadly the last bottle of that went last week. grrrrrrrrrrr

Regards

Mark

Edited: 12:13 pm, November 30, 2012
New Jersey
reviews: 75
5. Re: Tasting Brunello at Poggio Antico in Montalcino

Allison, thanks for posting your pictures and your trip. I'm looking for a winery or two to visit in December. I have not tried BdMs from Poggio Antico. The other place I'm considering is Biondi Santi. It's too bad that their riservas are mostly out my price range.

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, Antigua
6. Re: Tasting Brunello at Poggio Antico in Montalcino

Try Gualto Brunello Di Montalcino Riserva 2004 from the house of Camigliano. Very impressed with it at only 30 Euros a bottle

www.camigliano.it/vini/detail/id/1/…

Regards

Mark

Montepulciano, Italy
7. Re: Tasting Brunello at Poggio Antico in Montalcino

Thanks for the tip, Mark. It's always fun to discover new estates and try different wines and that's certainly not one we know. Although we're pretty familiar with the area as it must be quite close to the Mate vineyard? Incidentally, for anyone currently dreaming of Tuscany, click on the link and then the webcam at the top of the page. I think you'll have one of those "wish we were there" moments! We also love Montefalco Sagrantinos and find they make a change after so much Sangiovese; I find they're smoother, lighter, very polished wines.

Edited: 1:22 am, December 02, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, Antigua
8. Re: Tasting Brunello at Poggio Antico in Montalcino

We were introduced to it when we were having dinner at Re Di Macchia. It was priced at 70 euros. I went to the wine bar the next day asked them if they had it in stock, they did at a price of 30 euros, so I promptly purchased 6 bottles. I had actually talked my self into Biondi Santi 2004 riserva at 70 euros in the wine bar in the castle. Glad I came across the Gualto instead. Trying to save that last bottle for Xmas.

Regards

Mark

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, Antigua
9. Re: Tasting Brunello at Poggio Antico in Montalcino

Some photos posted from our trip that I put on Yuku.

travelaol.yuku.com/topic/2253/Dinner-in-Rome

travelaol.yuku.com/topic/2240/Italy-Lunch

…yuku.com/topic/2263/Doors-in-Tuscany

…yuku.com/topic/2273/Gusto-Wine-Tours

…yuku.com/topic/2270/Borgo-di-Carpiano

Regards

Mark

Boston
reviews: 41
10. Re: Tasting Brunello at Poggio Antico in Montalcino

Your photos are amazing, Mark. Thanks for sharing. Now I am starving for some Italian food and thinking about planning another trip to Italy! :)