We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The perfect food to pair with Brunello?

Which Montalcino hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 43
The perfect food to pair with Brunello?

Hi!

My wife and I spent an amazingly wonderful time exploring Montalcino, Montepulciano and the Val d'Orcia in May. We bought a mixed case of Brunello from La Fortezza and had it shipped home. Most of the bottles we will cellar, but a few we would like to share with friends now.

Here's our question: from your experience, what are the IDEAL foods to pair with Brunello?

-Karl

Montepulciano, Italy
reviews: 1
1. Re: The perfect food to pair with Brunello?

Unlike Vino Nobile, which I feel must be accompanied by food due to its robustness, Brunello is rather nice drunk quietly on its own with perhaps just a plate of prosciutto and some olives to accompany it, Enoteca style. Otherwise, I would pair it with slightly lighter dishes as opposed to the traditional heavy Tuscan stews. Fillet steak with balsamico and ruccola is a popular Tuscan dish that’s easy to recreate at home. Or how about something I’ve been cooking a lot of lately as it’s peak season for figs – guinea fowl in figs and Marsala (or white wine). Another nice guinea fowl or chicken dish that I now cook at home after having eaten it in a restaurant in Citta della Pieve during the saffron festival last year is guinea fowl with raisins, pine nuts and saffron and that would work well. Some people may be shocked but we even drink Brunello with fish. A favourite of mine is sea bass wrapped in prosciutto but where you are how about baked Pacific salmon? Google for recipes.

2. Re: The perfect food to pair with Brunello?

Google's first hit comes up with many Wine Spectator responses to this question.

Seattle, Washington
3. Re: The perfect food to pair with Brunello?

Hi FarralonesCA & LaStraniera!

Yes, I should have mentioned that I had done some searching on the web (google, etc.) and found lots of opinions and (typical of the web) random advice...the closest I could find to expert advice was on the Banfi site which lists: roasts, game, grilled meats, ripe cheese, hearty stews and aged cheeses such as Parmigiano Reggiano.

So I thought I would go straight to the source and ask live folks living in the area. LaStraniera's tips were perfect! I actually like her ideas better than Banfi's. More imaginative and seasonal.

Thanks! -Karl

Edited: 10:02 am, August 25, 2012
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 77
4. Re: The perfect food to pair with Brunello?

Go to a book store and check out Kevin Zraly's excellent Windows on the World Complete Wine Course Book. You will find boxes of info which list recommendations from actual vineyard owners regarding wine/food pairing. Now, that would be straight from the horse's mouth.

Montepulciano, Italy
reviews: 1
5. Re: The perfect food to pair with Brunello?

Re Banfi's list, they appear to have virtually every angle covered so far as what to drink with Brunello - I mean what's left on the menu besides pasta and pizza?!? Now, food and wine is very much a personal thing and when I have guests we allow people to choose what they would like to drink with what. But since living here I've developed a taste for something sweeter with my cheese, for example. It could be honey or a marmelata, and now prefer a glass of a sweeter wine with the cheese course. I had the most amazing pecorino, walnut and pear salad at la Solita Zuppa recently (for a first course) that the owner paired with a moscato passito, a truly unbelievable combination.

Seattle, Washington
6. Re: The perfect food to pair with Brunello?

This is all really helpful advice! And really relevant to travel..for me a big part of the fun of travel is the planning stage...then there is the doing part, then there is the sharing part with friends when you get back. Some of our friends have never been to Italy, so it will be fun to share with them some good wine and food. Thanks so much for helping us to extend our holiday just a bit more!

-Karl

7. Re: The perfect food to pair with Brunello?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 15, 2013