We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Re: Gregorian Chant at Sant' Antimo

Which Montalcino hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Downunder
reviews: 6
Re: Gregorian Chant at Sant' Antimo

Can anyone please confirm, at what times on Sunday do the Monks chant. I have looked at their site, however, I'm still a little confused of the meanings of the words. We are planning on a visit in September.

Many thanks.

Paciano, Italy
reviews: 28
1. Re: Re: Gregorian Chant at Sant' Antimo

They chant at 9am, Holy Mass at 11am, 12:45,18:30

Downunder
2. Re: Re: Gregorian Chant at Sant' Antimo

Grazie mille!!!!

Ljubljana, Slovenia
3. Re: Re: Gregorian Chant at Sant' Antimo

Holy Mass is also performed mostly with chanting :-)

Philadelphia, USA
reviews: 1
4. Re: Re: Gregorian Chant at Sant' Antimo

We got there for the 12:45 on a Sunday and it was wonderful. The drive there is fabulous also.

boston, ma
5. Re: Re: Gregorian Chant at Sant' Antimo

I thought they chant daily at 11:00 and at 2:45?? Can someone confirm this for me? Thanks!

Montepulciano, Italy
6. Re: Re: Gregorian Chant at Sant' Antimo

http://www.antimo.it/pagine_en/00FRAME.html

Check the link for timings of all services. Note that the no photos rule inside is quite heavily enforced this summer, and although you may get away with a quietly taken picture outside of a service, everyone should remember it is primarily a place of worship. Two or three times during Mass in the last couple of months the service has been interrupted briefly due to too many cameras snapping away. And don't forget to bring loose change as you need to pay and park (unless you come for 11 am Mass on a Sunday).

Bay Village, Ohio
reviews: 18
7. Re: Re: Gregorian Chant at Sant' Antimo

We were there for the 12:45pm service on a Tuesday last October.

Mississauga, ON
reviews: 62
8. Re: Re: Gregorian Chant at Sant' Antimo

Maybe it's just me, but it does not confirm 100% on the website link that there is Gregorian chant at each service. Can anyone 100% confirm?

Thanks

Montepulciano, Italy
9. Re: Re: Gregorian Chant at Sant' Antimo

There is a Gregorian chant 7 times a day, every day, as indicated on the link by the terms: Matins, Lauds, Terce, Sext, None, Vespers & Compline. These are what are known as the “canonical hours” in the Catholic church when the clergy perform what's called "divine office". During each of these seven, roughly 15 minute periods, the monks at Sant'Antimo perform their daily office by chanting the words of various psalms from the Old Testament in Latin. The psalms differ daily as they in turn are determined by the liturgical calendar. In addition to the 7 chanting periods, there is Mass (09.15 daily / 11 am Sundays) and this too is sung in Gregorian chant. At the 11 on a Sunday there is a sermon read in Italian. There’s a link on the Sant’Antimo website explaining in detail the background to Gregorian chant. As you can see, what the monks allow us to share or witness is a very intimate service in which they communicate with God. I'm sure no one here would ever think this but it really isn't a show just put on for tourists.

Mississauga, ON
reviews: 62
10. Re: Re: Gregorian Chant at Sant' Antimo

Thank you lastraniera.

Having studied Gregorian chant in school (history, writing and performing) I'm most interested in experiencing this very special ritual.

I can now plan our visit accordingly.

Edited: 5:46 am, August 15, 2012