We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking from Montalcino to the Abbey

Which Montalcino hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
walking from Montalcino to the Abbey

Hello

I want to walk from Montalcino to the Abbey Sant'Antimo and then on to Bagno Vignoni the next day. I think I will have to walk to the abbey and then bus back to Montalcino, and then the next day, bus back down near the Abbey and walk to Bagno. I would prefer to stay somwhere near the abbey and avoid the two bus trips, but I can't seem to find any accomodations nearby. Anyone have any ideas?

Montreal
1. Re: walking from Montalcino to the Abbey

The monks themselves don't live at the abbey; I think they live up the hill in Castelnuovo dell'Abate. There might not be a hotel there, but there might be a B&B.

Montepulciano, Italy
reviews: 1
2. Re: walking from Montalcino to the Abbey

Good question. Everytime I go to Castelnuovo there seems to be a new restaurant opening but I can't - off the top of my head - picture anywhere to stay. There must be but it's probably low key, not very well advertised. Don't the monks live at the Abbey? I thought they did and there's certainly hostel accommodation at the Abbey but it's only available, I believe, to the Scouts, who are there quite often. I remember the last time I saw them there I couldn't help thinking how ironic it is that visitors worry about entering churches in shorts yet here was a young woman in her Scout uniform that comprised very short shorts. And she wasn't just in church but was actually attending Mass and reading the first lesson standing on the altar!

Although it's an easy walk down to the Abbey from Montalcino (and not really all that difficult going back), the trek from either Montalcino or Sant'Antimo over to Bagno Vignoni is quite something else for it's a long way plus very hilly as you descend and then climb up out of the Asso valley. You'll need a good map and map reading skills so as to take footpaths cross country for following the road will be quite circuitous. Must be a wonderful walk though; you've given me an idea for something to do in autumn - thanks.

Brisbane, Australia
3. Re: walking from Montalcino to the Abbey

I know there is a book called "Walking and Eating in Tuscany" or something similar, that describes the walk from Montalcino to the Abbey, but is there any other information around on that walk. I've googled but haven't come up with much. A description, perhaps together with gpx or kml file would be useful.

Are there maps/route descriptions available at tourist offices, either Siena or Montalcino.

Not sure which direction I will do the walk, any recommendations? If I walk from Montalcino it's going to be the middle of the day, which I'm guessing is far too hot in early August. If I do it the other way it will be late afternoon. I'm trying to fit in with the bus timetables.

Montepulciano, Italy
4. Re: walking from Montalcino to the Abbey

Good walking maps available from bookshops in both towns you mention, the best is the green coloured "Sentieri della Provincia di Siena VAL d'ORCIA", Edizioni Multigraphic, 1 / 25000 as this is detailed and covers where you're going. Problem is, unless you get up early or the weather changes (as it may), you could find it tough going walking in August, though admitedly, there is quite a lot of shade on this particular walk.

I so wish the OP would post back as to how their walks went. Whenever I see anyone out with a rucksack, I find myself wondering if it's them.

Brisbane, Australia
5. Re: walking from Montalcino to the Abbey

Thanks for the info. Do you think those maps might also be available in Florence. I'd like to pick one up a few days before so I can study the route.

I would most likely walk back later in the day, leaving the abbey around 17:00. Figuring on around 2 1/2 hours to get back to Montalcino. The last bus from Montalcino back to Siena is 20:30, so that allows 3 /12 hours for the walk if needed. I'm guessing it gets dark around 20:30 at that time of year, is that about right?

Montepulciano, Italy
6. Re: walking from Montalcino to the Abbey

You can often find them in Florence at Edison's bookstore just off Piazza della Repubblica. Yes, it should be getting dark around that time,

7. Re: walking from Montalcino to the Abbey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, July 02, 2013