We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shipping Wine to USA

Which Montalcino hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Shipping Wine to USA

I know there is a 2 bottle limit when returning to the USA. Has anyone purchased wine and shipped it back to the USA? Is it cost effective?

Are there wines in Montalcino that could easily be purchased here in the USA?

Washington DC...
reviews: 3
11. Re: Shipping Wine to USA

There is actually no set limit on the amount of wine you can bring back with you. The US Customs and Border patrol website says just no unusual amount. The limit is on the amount you can bring back duty-free.

Anyway, there is a 1 liter per person over 21 duty free limit. After one liter, you are supposed to pay tax on the rest of the wine. The $800 personal exemption doesn't apply to alcohol. A typical bottle of wine is 750mL which is just under a liter. If you got a second bottle you would be responsible for paying duty. As mentioned by previous posters, the charge tends to be so insignificant that the officials in customs may not want to process the paperwork. The wines we get tend to be ones we can't easily find in the US or are a lot cheaper in Italy.

So if you decide to pack wine with you, here's what to do.

1. Pack it well in your carry on suitcase or bring a special wine carrier-- luggage weight limit consideration is impt., 50 lbs I believe? Overweight luggage fee is huge, around $100-200 I think.

2. Save your receipts and have them with you when you go through customs after returning home.

3. Declare all of the wine. You can use the 1 liter exemption for your most expensive bottle.

4. Customs may want to see the wine/x-ray your suitcase.

Link to US Customs website:

cbp.gov/xp/…paying_duty.xml

It is not difficult to do. I find carrying the wine around the hardest part. If you decide not to bring back wine or have it shipped, peel the label off of the wines that you love and see if you can find it at home or see if a wine shop can order it.

I like wine but am not a huge expert. Two wines frequently associated with Montepulciano are Vino Nobile di Montepulciano and Brunello di Montepulciano. I have gotten both at an Italian grocery store and they were far less than you pay in the US.

Another food product to get is Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale di Modena. The balsamic vinegar you typically get in the US is just not the real stuff and does not compare in taste. And the real stuff is fabulous IMHO. Try it while you are there. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balsamic_vinegar

Cheers!

Washington DC...
reviews: 3
12. Re: Shipping Wine to USA

Oops, sorry! I just noticed this is an old 2011 post!

Lancaster, NY
reviews: 2
13. Re: Shipping Wine to USA

No, thank you for your post. I was wondering about bringing wine back from Tuscany next June when I go and you answered so many questions for me. It has helped me a lot and now I will be shopping for that wine carrier you mentioned because I really want to bring a case back with me :)

Enfield, Connecticut
14. Re: Shipping Wine to USA

Just returned from Montalcino. Purchased a case of Brunello from Enoteca San Giorgio. Shipped to the US for 80 euro. Staff very helpful. Probably tasted 20 different wines. No charge. Highly recommended.

Enfield, Connecticut
15. Re: Shipping Wine to USA

Just returned from Montalcino. Purchased a case of Brunello from Enoteca San Giorgio. Shipped to the US for 80 euro. Staff very helpful. Probably tasted 20 different wines. No charge. Highly recommended.

Paso Robles
reviews: 92
16. Re: Shipping Wine to USA

Shipping wine from Italy to CA is VERY expensive. What we have done is to buy a shipping box (usually has protective cardboard inserts), fill it with 12 bottles, and then check it as baggage on the airplane. Yes, we paid 60 euros (perhaps $80) at the time 2 years ago, but about half the price of shipping it. Although we were prepared to pay a duty fee for the extra 10 bottles at Customs in San Francisco, we were not charged for any excess. We have done this two years in a row - bringing back TWO cases of wine from France last year. Again, we were never charged any duty fee for the excess wine.

17. Re: Shipping Wine to USA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 19, 2014