We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Old Town romantic with good swimmable beach?

Which Rhodes Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
reviews: 6
Is the Old Town romantic with good swimmable beach?

I'm looking for a romantic destination for the second half of my anniversary. (First Half - Santorini) I wanted to go to Naxos or Paros, but all the flights are already booked and someone just mentioned that Rhodes is nice. Was also considering nothern coast of Crete but I'm worried about the summer winds. I'm also looking at Milos.

There are so many different islands and choices - my head is spinning. Any help to the below issues would be great.

We love the beach and are looking to swim everday - is the city beach and nearby beaches affected by the summer winds.

We also love historic architecture and outside cafes.

Does this describe the old town or should we look at another island?

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
reviews: 41
1. Re: Is the Old Town romantic with good swimmable beach?

You will have a very interesting experience in Rhodes old town. It is a medieval town and fortress, all created by the crusaders after leaving the Holy Land. There are many spectacular buildings and a fortified city wall, and the old town has a lot of cafes, restaurants and shops.

The Elli Beach north of the old town is pebbly and can be windy as it is on the very edge of the island. Generally, the west side of Rhodes is very windy, whereas the quiet and better beaches are located on the east coast.

Rhodes has also many interesting sites to explore.

Birmingham, United...
reviews: 16
2. Re: Is the Old Town romantic with good swimmable beach?

Can't see any problem of getting to Naxos and Paros there are plenty of ferries from Santorini, and a reasonable number to Milos and Crete.

Rhodes town beaches are affected by the winds which are NW. thus beaches on the west coast are windswept. The sheltered beach near Rhodes town is Zefira beach south of the commercial harbour. There is plenty of history attached to Rhodes island and the town. Some parts of the old town are very busy with tourists but if you go into the backstreets there are some quiet little squares etc.

Leicester
Destination Expert
for Rhodes, Rhodes Town
reviews: 5
3. Re: Is the Old Town romantic with good swimmable beach?

Rhodes Town has more than enough historic architecture and outside cafes to keep you interested for days. Even after 19 years of visiting Rhodes we still often spend hours just wandering the back streets and finding quiet bars and restaurants. However, if the beach and swimming are your primary concerns then one of the east coast resorts would probably suit you more.

As above the beaches in Rhodes Town are OK but nothing special - Elli Beach is on the North East tip of the island and can get a little windy and Zephiros is just south of town, also on the east coast - not so windy but last time we visited a couple of years ago it looked quite tatty.

For us the Old Town wins everytime and we either put up with the New Town beaches or travel to those further down the east coast.

Enjoy,

Dave.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Destination Expert
for Thessaloniki, Halkidiki Region
reviews: 187
4. Re: Is the Old Town romantic with good swimmable beach?

hi.

the old town is fabulous.however i agre that if primary concern is swimming and sunbathing then it is better to stay in a resort and visit the old town in the evenings.that is what we do when in rhodes.

it can be windy most of the times but in rhodes it is very hot during summer and the wind is very pleasant.usually we stay in ixia.it is 5 min. by car to te city of rhodes.

Devizes, United...
Destination Expert
for Crete
reviews: 310
5. Re: Is the Old Town romantic with good swimmable beach?

Hi there

Rhodes Old Town is a wonderful, open air museum, a medieval walled city with cobbled streets, fountains, palaces, temples, mosques, minarets, museums and a wonderful atmosphere. You have a main shopping street Socratous that bisects the Old Town east-west along which are many shops selling good value gold and jewellery. All the Old Town is traffic free allowing you to wander at will.

For the best view across the rooftops, climb to the top of the old clocktower which is situated just behind Orfeos, between the Ottman library and the top of Odos Ippoton. Although Crete has some wonderful old towns such as Chania and Rethymno, nothing can compare to Rhodes in my opinion.

Get answers to your questions about Rhodes Town