We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel between montpellier and carcassone

Which Roussillon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 2
travel between montpellier and carcassone

we are flying into Paris in mid-October--staying for two nights-plan to train to Montpellier the next AM for tow nights--will rent a car in montpellier and drive to Carcassone for tow nights--eventually will take train from Montpellier back to CDG airport where we will spend the night before our return to USA--is this being too ambitious ? We are quite anxious to see this part of France having never been in Lanqueduc--thanks you for any info

anb502@comcast.net

7 replies to this topic
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
reviews: 4
1. Re: travel between montpellier and carcassone

That´s a lot of traveling for less than a week in France. Carcassonne is really not that compelling of a destination and you are making a big effort to go there.

It´s not what I would recommend but it can be done. For best pricing, buy your train tickets as soon as you can and two day car rentals are quite expensive.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
reviews: 37
2. Re: travel between montpellier and carcassone

Do you have an interest in visiting Roussillon? It's in the Lubéron and would b econsiderably out of the way for your return to Paris.

reviews: 2
3. Re: travel between montpellier and carcassone

Thank you for your reply--since we have been to Paris several times will not be doing much of the "touristy" spots--Lanquedoc area is one that we have not visited and feel Montpellier is a good spot to stay --we plan to make Carcassone a two night stay as well--is there anything else in this area that you would advise as well or in place of the spots I have mentioned? We very much like the French countryside and markets and just enjoy taking in the true French atmosphere in the little towns---thank you for your information.

anb502

Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
reviews: 45
4. Re: travel between montpellier and carcassone

I think you have the wrong forum.

Le Bugue, France
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
reviews: 4
5. Re: travel between montpellier and carcassone

I really would not spend two nights in Carcassonne. A half day visit is nice, but given all the other things there are to see in the Languedoc, I wouldn't "waste" two nights in Carcassonne on such a very short trip.

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
reviews: 100
6. Re: travel between montpellier and carcassone

Diz : Roussillon in Luberon has nothing to do with "Languedoc-Roussillon". In this case Roussillon refers to the plain of Roussillon at the foot of the Pyrenees around Perpignan. This area is also called French Catalonia.

OP : if you have a car, you can visit the Cathar castles of Puilaurens, Peyrepertuse, Queribus, Minerve and the Minervois, Rennes-le-Chateau : www.audetourisme.com/fr/decouvrir/index.php

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
reviews: 100
7. Re: travel between montpellier and carcassone

Oops sorry, I meant Catullus and not Diz. Apologies to both.

Reply to: travel between montpellier and carcassone
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted