We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Jose Airport to Santa Teresa

Which Santa Teresa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chatham, Canada
reviews: 1
San Jose Airport to Santa Teresa

I am trying figure out how to get to here from the airport the easiest way. Should I rent a car? Not sure if I will need a car the rest of the trip? What would a taxi cost from the airport? What about a bus?

San Jose, Costa Rica
1. Re: San Jose Airport to Santa Teresa

One good way to do it...is take a taxi from SJO to the ferry...pay the taxi....get the ferrry...and at the side take another taxi to Santa Teresa...

Do not take a taxi all the way from SJO to Santa Teresa...they will squeeze tons of money from you!

roadadvisor

Chatham, Canada
2. Re: San Jose Airport to Santa Teresa

how much would the taxis cost? How much is ferry?

Could a taxi take us all the way around and skip the ferry? and what is the cost? estimation.

Sorry for all the questions.

Kev

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 20
3. Re: San Jose Airport to Santa Teresa

It's an all day trip from SJO to Santa Teresa and what a taxi would charge you is based on what kind of deal you could negotiate with a driver at the airport. The trip by ferry is much shorter than a trip up and around the top of the Gulf of Nicoya by car due to unpaved roads. If you want to do the entire route with one driver it will likely be far less expensive to use a private driver booked in advance than a taxi. Do a search for private drivers recommended on this forum.

You could also check out flights from SJO to Tambor or SANSA or Nature Air. It's roughly an hour drive from Tambor to Santa Teresa.

San Jose, Costa Rica
4. Re: San Jose Airport to Santa Teresa

A good condition taxi not a PIRATE...red or orenge offical taxi...around $ 120.00 to the ferry....ferry fee 800.00 colones per person and the vehicle .11.400 colones..that includes the driver...at the other side about ...to Santa Teresa ..$ 80.00 to $ 100.00

Be carefull with PIRATES or people offering services outside SJO or LIR...some of this people are criminals even with a police record...please avoid them as much as you can...they offer cheaper prices ...or even badmouh official taxis or tour vans...but they are not good people...only God knows who may be riding with!

roadadvisor

Chatham, Canada
5. Re: San Jose Airport to Santa Teresa

Ok thanks for your help but I am a bit confused. Are you using US dollars or Colon? What woul dthe total trip be in US dollars from airport to ferry to santa Teresa.

I was thinking renting a car but didn't want to make the crazy drive. If I fly into san jose would you recommend staying there the night before heading out for the full trek to santa Teresa OR could we cab down to Puntarenas ferry area and stay there the night before heading out in morning. I would like to avoid paying for the taxi to ride the ferry but will I be able to get a taxi on the other side?

Chatham, Canada
6. Re: San Jose Airport to Santa Teresa

Thanks I don't think I will drive the crazy roads. When you posted your costs was that in US or Colon? What would the complete trip cost from San Jose to Santa Teresa. Airport to ferry to santa Teresa.??

If we fly into san jose, should we stay the night there and do the full day trek the next day or could we cab to Puntarenas the day and stay the night around there, then in the morning get the ferry across?

Will the cab drop us off at the ferry or will it board the ferry with us. I would prefer not to have to pay for the taxi to cross.

waterloo,ON
reviews: 6
7. Re: San Jose Airport to Santa Teresa

I would suggest taking the shuttle speed boat transfer from Zuma tours. It will pick you up at your hotel in Alajuela and take you to Montezuma, from there it is a $30 taxi to Santa Teresa. I have done it 5 times and it is the best and fastest way to go.

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
8. Re: San Jose Airport to Santa Teresa

Let's clear some things up:

1. The airport is not actually in San Jose but in Alajuela, a nearby town that is about 20-30 minutes from San Jose. It's probably a good idea to spend your first night somewhere near the airport, unless your flight arrives very early in the morning.

2. One option is to use the shared van shuttle. For $55 - $85, you can get picked up at one of the hotels near the airport and transported to Santa Teresa. Look here: anywherecostarica.com/transportation/search…

For the price, this is the most convenient. They provide hotel to hotel service in a 12-passenger, air conditioned van.

3. Take a look here: www.yourtravelmap.com You will see that Puntarenas is quite a ways from the airport or San Jose and a taxi would be the worst way to go there. Taxis are best used for travel around a local area.

4. The other options mentioned - fly to Tambor and get a taxi from there to Santa Teresa or hire a private driver -- will be more expensive. Although with the flight, it will take less time.

5. Another option is to take the public bus: www.thebusschedule.com/cr/

6. Yes, the prices quoted by roadadvisor are in US dollars. There are 494 Costa Rican colones to the US dollar so it would be quite different in colones.

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
reviews: 10
9. Re: San Jose Airport to Santa Teresa

It all depends on what time your flight lands in SJO. If it is late morning, no problem, you can catch a cab or hire a driver, or you can catch the Direct Bus that leaves the San Carlos Station in San Jose (about 30-40 min cab ride from the airport) which leaves at 2 PM and costs about $15. The bus goes Directly to Santa Teresa with a few stops in between, you will get into ST about 8PM.

Like Hattie mentioned, you can fly SANSA from SJO to Tambor and then cab it to ST., or you can hire a driver, or you can take a shuttle which will pick you up at a designated hotel in Alajuela (close to the airport), but you will have to spend your first night in Alajuela because the shuttle leaves around 8AM.....or there is the public bus, which is the least expensive and will take the longest of all the options mentioned. If you look up in the top right corner of this page, you will find web sites etc. pertaining to your transportation question under the heading Top Questions about Santa Teresa.

Tambor
10. Re: San Jose Airport to Santa Teresa

A direct private transfer from the Aiport to Santa Teresa with a priavate van it could cost around $270. you can contact also www.tamboradventure.com

I hope it help you.