We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Open air villas and bugs?

Which Santa Teresa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
6 reviews
Open air villas and bugs?

I'm looking into booking a villa in Santa Teresa for February or March of next year. A number of these villas seem to have a number of unenclosed rooms, except for the bedrooms. Where ever we go, my kids seem to be mosquito-magnets. Are there a lot of biting bugs to deal with in these open-air living room/dining room/kitchen/bathrooms? Would we be able to sit around a breakfast/dinner time and enjoy ourselves?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,656 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Open air villas and bugs?

If you are concerned about the open areas, then there are a couple of solutions that you can find at any supermarket:

1. Mosquito coils -- you can burn these coils and they will keep bugs away.

2. Plug-ins -- these little "gizmos" are like those plug-in air fresheners except they have a cardboard insert that is impregnated with insect repellant.

I have used both of these and they really work.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
307 posts
1 review
2. Re: Open air villas and bugs?

The Off clip on fans are good to use as well...portable and they seem to handle a small radius around them (ie: put them on a table and turn them on while you're eating or clip them to your person). A really good, albiet weird thing that works for me is to mix 1/3 blue listerine and 2/3 water in a spray bottle and spray yourself and a barrier wherever you are (tip from the head botanist at the atlanta botanical gardens). I also use a product called Bugs at Bay from Moondance soaps (I think thats the name of the company)...a super granola friend recommended years ago, and mosquitos love us - we're deep in humid mosquito land, and that works too (based on lemon eucalyptus oil among other things) with the added advantage of actually smelling nice. I'd bring some hydrocortisone and/or afterbite just in case. Its hard to ask for things like that in pharmacies in Spanish.

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Open air villas and bugs?

You will find that most of the restaurants are open air.

If you are looking for a rental that is not open air, you will have to find one that is totally AC.

I would agree with both posts above, after all, you are in the tropics, there are bugs, we all get bit. I am not fond of bug repellant, but do give in and use it when I can't stand being the bug smorgasbord any longer!!

4. Re: Open air villas and bugs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 21, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Santa Teresa