We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Open air villas and bugs?

Which Santa Teresa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 6
Open air villas and bugs?

I'm looking into booking a villa in Santa Teresa for February or March of next year. A number of these villas seem to have a number of unenclosed rooms, except for the bedrooms. Where ever we go, my kids seem to be mosquito-magnets. Are there a lot of biting bugs to deal with in these open-air living room/dining room/kitchen/bathrooms? Would we be able to sit around a breakfast/dinner time and enjoy ourselves?

Thanks.

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
1. Re: Open air villas and bugs?

If you are concerned about the open areas, then there are a couple of solutions that you can find at any supermarket:

1. Mosquito coils -- you can burn these coils and they will keep bugs away.

2. Plug-ins -- these little "gizmos" are like those plug-in air fresheners except they have a cardboard insert that is impregnated with insect repellant.

I have used both of these and they really work.

Atlanta, GA
reviews: 1
2. Re: Open air villas and bugs?

The Off clip on fans are good to use as well...portable and they seem to handle a small radius around them (ie: put them on a table and turn them on while you're eating or clip them to your person). A really good, albiet weird thing that works for me is to mix 1/3 blue listerine and 2/3 water in a spray bottle and spray yourself and a barrier wherever you are (tip from the head botanist at the atlanta botanical gardens). I also use a product called Bugs at Bay from Moondance soaps (I think thats the name of the company)...a super granola friend recommended years ago, and mosquitos love us - we're deep in humid mosquito land, and that works too (based on lemon eucalyptus oil among other things) with the added advantage of actually smelling nice. I'd bring some hydrocortisone and/or afterbite just in case. Its hard to ask for things like that in pharmacies in Spanish.

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
reviews: 13
3. Re: Open air villas and bugs?

You will find that most of the restaurants are open air.

If you are looking for a rental that is not open air, you will have to find one that is totally AC.

I would agree with both posts above, after all, you are in the tropics, there are bugs, we all get bit. I am not fond of bug repellant, but do give in and use it when I can't stand being the bug smorgasbord any longer!!

4. Re: Open air villas and bugs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 21, 2014