We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tambor Airport Shut Down

Which Santa Teresa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Smyrna, GA
reviews: 17
Tambor Airport Shut Down

I was reading some of the other questions in the forum and came across some mention of the Tambor airport being shut down through or until the 27th of March.

I called Sansa and spoke to their representative. They are on flying out of SJO on normal schedule, but flying to another "local" airstrip, and then providing ground transportation back to the Tambor airport. Likewise, on the way back, the instructions I was given is to meet 1 1/2 hours in advance of your flight time at the Barcelo resort near Tambor airport for ground transportation to the airstrip and the flight back to SJO.

A small inconvenience to get to enjoy the countryside.

Best of luck to all in your travels.

Sciz

Sutton, Canada
reviews: 2
1. Re: Tambor Airport Shut Down

Flew into Tambor 19 Feb and the runway was in desprate need of repairs. Asphalt was breaking up in spots and runway markings were almost invisible. Good they are fixing things up for safety reasons. I'm a private pilot and Tambor is an exciting strip to come into and take off from because of the approach over water. The passenger waiting area LOL is a little rustic with a pop cooler. Just love this little airport.

Smyrna, GA
reviews: 17
2. Re: Tambor Airport Shut Down

Ha - that airport has been in need of repair for 10 years but I hope they don't go putting up a real terminal or anything.

I'm anxious to see what "local airstrip" we are going to land at. I looked at all of the maps I can find but don't see any airfields within what looks like a 30 minute drive. Maybe we're going from asphalt to dirt - or maybe a float plane - the world wonders....

Costa Rica
reviews: 53
3. Re: Tambor Airport Shut Down

Sansa is flying into an airstrip by Playa Naranjo, north of Paquera, and Nature Air is flying into an airstrip by Playa Coyote.

Be prepared to spend 2.5 hours in the car if flying Sansa, you're almost better off taking the refund and driving!

Nature Air passengers definitely have the better deal for coming to Santa Teresa, less than an hour. =)

New York City, New...
reviews: 5
4. Re: Tambor Airport Shut Down

We decided to cancel our Sansa flight and hired a shuttle, much more relaxing and will take the same amount of time in the end, what with the Tambor airstrip shut down. We'll be leaving San Jose monday, 3/25, around 11 or 12, if anyone would like to share.

Laguna Beach...
reviews: 1
5. Re: Tambor Airport Shut Down

Has anyone heard if the airstrip in Tambor is finished? Flying tomorrow night....

6. Re: Tambor Airport Shut Down

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 30, 2014