We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing around ST

Which Santa Teresa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Smyrna, GA
reviews: 22
Fishing around ST

Hello from Atlanta.

Going to be in ST the last week of March. The wife will be spending all of her time doing downward dog (yoga)...as for me I'm looking for any fishing options. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

San Jose, Costa Rica
1. Re: Fishing around ST

Good fishing around...once there ask around and shop for some good options...also if you can ...around Montezuma some good boats..but in general you can have some fun ...and great fishing!

roadadvisor

Smyrna, GA
2. Re: Fishing around ST

Thanks - I've been around Montezuma several times - looking for any boat recommendations specific to ST or Malpais.

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
reviews: 10
3. Re: Fishing around ST

It is best if you wait until you get down here to arrange for fishing. Boats (pangas) leave from the Fisherman's Harbor at the very south end of Mal Pais near the canopy tour. You can arrange a trip by going down there around 6:30 in the morning if you want talk to the fishermen, or get someone to connect you up with a guide. Usually, you can do a 3 hr. trip in the morning or the afternoon.

There are also Kayak fishing trips you can take, if you like to have fun fishing with light gear, this is probably your best bet.

Many fishing options available and advertised on such sites as:

www.nicoyazoom.com

www.nicoyapeninsula.com

www.peninsuladenicoya.com

Smyrna, GA
4. Re: Fishing around ST

Thanks for the information.

Washington DC...
reviews: 8
5. Re: Fishing around ST

Hey Sciz,

Here is an excerpt from my trip review in Nov 2010 from Santa Teresa. The owners of Soda Piedra Mar are the people you should fish with. They are super good at what they do and it is reasonable since fishing off of Isla de Cabo Blanco is not far but is completely fertile fishing grounds. Back then we were paying about $60/hour and needed about 3 hours to get our fill. Our hotel arranged it for us but you can also go to the restaurant which is up the hill from the main road in Santa Teresa but not far from the crossroad and not far up the hill. They have excellent equipment and boats and it is totally a tico family business. Good luck.

"The family that owns Piedra Mar also has about 5 fishing boats and are so good at what they do. Jorge is the father and he is such a good person. His sons take the boats out and are very nice and are all business out on the water. I tagged along on two trolling trips out to Isla de Cabo Blanco with two different small groups from Casa Marbella. We took Kristen Sofia I and Kristen Sofia II out for 3 hours on Friday and Saturday afternoon, respectively. These boats are so nice that we spent very little time motoring to the fishing spot and mucho time actually fishing. We caught 16 Yellow Fin Tuna the first day taking turns between 3 people and another five the 2nd day taking turns between 4 of us. This doesn't count about 20 Black fin that we caught and released between the two days. Tuna were jumping everywhere right next to the island and the boat. Once back at the Pescaderia, the captain, sliced up some sashimi for us to eat while the fish were being filleted. Needless to say the bulk of the hotel guests feasted on Sashimi and Seared Tuna for days. And this was after we gave about 13 kilos of Yellow tail fillet to the operators of the boat."

Smyrna, GA
6. Re: Fishing around ST

Thanks Barney. Really good information. We are staying at Buenos Aires hotel, so it looks like the soda is just down the hill - how convenient. I like the idea that it's family run.

Great description too.

Best,

Sciz

Washington DC...
reviews: 8
7. Re: Fishing around ST

Wow Sciz,

Between Brisas Del Mar and Soda Piedra Mar, you will not have to go far for some of the best food in the area. I recommend the batidas especially de Sandia (Watermelon Smoothie) at Brisas Del Mar. I love the Whole fish platter at Piedra Mar with Salad and fresh cut fries. Have a great time.

Smyrna, GA
8. Re: Fishing around ST

Ha! My wife picked the hotel because it is near her yoga place - now I know where to go for breakfast/lunch/dinner and fishing. This is our first time in the ST/M area. We have always gone to Montezuma or Manuel Antonio. From what I have seen and heard, looks like we are in for a great time. I appreciate the info nuggets.

Regarding the fishing, was the $60/hr on a pp basis, or for the boat cost per hour? How many people did the boat take out?

Thanks.

Sciz

waterloo,ON
reviews: 6
9. Re: Fishing around ST

I am in Santa Teresa now and am very interested in fishing with soda piedra mar. I will try to get up to thier restaurant and ask, but in the mean time does anyone know if the $60 per hour is per person or per boat?

waterloo,ON
reviews: 6
10. Re: Fishing around ST

I am in Santa Teresa now and am very interested in fishing with soda piedra mar. I will try to get up to thier restaurant and ask, but in the mean time does anyone know if the $60 per hour is per person or per boat?