We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Jose to Santa Teresa by bus

Which Santa Teresa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 36
San Jose to Santa Teresa by bus

Hello everyone,

We would like to travel next Sunday from San Jose to Santa Teresa. We saw on this site that you can do so at 6.00 am or 2 pm.

www.nicoyapeninsula.com/general/busses.php

It doesn’t make any sense to me because apparently the buss is going every 40 minutes and the ferry - let’s say - every hour. Is anyone experienced with this trip (or to Pais, Montezuma or anything closeby)?

Thank you so much!

Mark

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
1. Re: San Jose to Santa Teresa by bus

It make sense...when you see that the service at 6am and 2 pm...is what they call a direct service...that means the bus goes all the way to Santa Tereza...

In your case...maybe you can take a bus to Puntarenas...any company...then the ferry and then any other bus to Santa Tereza if available...

roadadivsor

Amsterdam, The...
2. Re: San Jose to Santa Teresa by bus

All right, so you mean direct as in not taking a boat and go all the way by bus? Is it faster you think?

Thanks by the way for your quick response!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
3. Re: San Jose to Santa Teresa by bus

Sorry some times my broken English is not good...so sorry...when I said is a direct bus...I mean that you will be at the same bus all the way from San Jose to Santa Tereza...San Jose to Punatrenas...FERRY...then at the other side the bus keep going to Santa Tereza...

But I think you can take any bus any time get to Puntarenas...then the ferry...see ferry schedules...then at athe other side...most of the time public services to Santa Tereza.

roadadvisor

Amsterdam, The...
4. Re: San Jose to Santa Teresa by bus

Thanks! 6 am is really early for us (because we arrive the evening before), but if you win a lot of time with this direct bus we would consider it. But as I understand it now, it doesn’t really matter and the only thing we have to do extra is buying a ferry ticket and find a bus to bring you to Santa Teresa…(correct?)

In the Ferry schedule you will see: Temporary schedule: valid until (maybe) 9th of Dec 2012 and a regular schedule. Do you know what schedule will be in force this Sunday (it is in fact 9 December…)

And thanks again!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
5. Re: San Jose to Santa Teresa by bus

That is correct...I will go for the regular schedule!

ROADADVISOR

Amsterdam, The...
6. Re: San Jose to Santa Teresa by bus

TNX. I am not sure yet, because if you go for the temporary (1pm) in worst case you will have to wait for the regular boat at 2 pm, but if you go for the regular scheme at 2 in this scheme is not in force we will have to wait until 5 pm for the last temporary scheme boat. Do you get what I mean?

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
reviews: 10
7. Re: San Jose to Santa Teresa by bus

Mark E:

I would go with the temporary schedule. The Dec 9th date is just a guess...one never knows for sure if the second ferry will be back on the 9th. If you are taking the direct bus, you will not be stopping at every bus stop! That is the beauty of this bus schedule! Your luggage gets stored underneath and you don't have to worry about it until you reach Santa Teresa.

If you are taking the normal bus, you will be stopping at most bus stops and you will have to take a taxi from the Puntarenas bus station to the ferry terminal, then get onto a bus on the Paquera side.

If the 6 AM direct bus is too early for you, then take the 2 PM bus. Remember, the bus station has changed from the Coca Cola Station to the San Carlos station (also named the Atlantic Station). The bus times have not changed. Be there ahead of time so you can get onto the bus, first come, first on and in a seat. There are no advanced ticket purchases.

If you want to leave later in the morning, but not as late as 2 PM, maybe think about taking a shuttle bus for about $40. But, then again, your ride also works around the temporary ferry schedule....which is in effect until the second ferry really and truly arrives back on the route!!! We can never be sure what day that is until it really happens! There are no guarantees! Right now, the last ferry leaving Puntarenas is at 5PM.

Amsterdam, The...
8. Re: San Jose to Santa Teresa by bus

Thanks. It is getting more and more clear. Does anyone have a suggestion for a shuttle company? I have emailed a few and they are all leaving early in the morning (what for us the starting problem ;-)). We would like to leave somewhere between 8 and am 12 a clock.

Thank you all! I am really happily surprised by all the quick and accurate response.

Mark

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 20
9. Re: San Jose to Santa Teresa by bus

Interbus has a shuttle that leaves Alajuela (Rio Segundo) at 8:15 for Santa Teresa. Or you can just take the same shuttle as far as Puntarenas where it arrives at 10:30 and do the rest by public bus. Much more expensive than public bus however.

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
10. Re: San Jose to Santa Teresa by bus

I have done from San Jose to Montezuma (6am or 2pm) and back a few times.

I believe Santa Teresa runs the same way, because sometimes it's a shared bus until Cobano (then they may make you switch busses) the 6am and the 2pm buses are the directo, they are a little nicer and have air conditioning.

The other part of it being a directo is it has less stops (very very few actually) it probably costs a little more (about $13-$14 from SJ to Montezuma) but I'm guessing the 2pm directo would eventually overtake a 1 pm (or Noon) bus heading in the same direction since it stops all the time.

The directo does take the ferry. Your luggage is locked in the bottom and you have a claim ticket for each bag. You walk on and off the ferry (so don't lose your bus ticket).

The directo has been VERY convenient for me when I'm in San Jose. But the SJO airport is actually in Alajuela (which is probably a $25+ cab ride to back track to San Jose), so I usually pay more and take a shuttle service like Montezuma Expeditions (they go all over, not just Montezuma) especially since my flight times don't always work out well for those busses.

Gary