We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bring, buy, or rent a snorkel?

Which Santa Teresa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Springfield...
reviews: 1
bring, buy, or rent a snorkel?

We are going to Santa Teresa & Puerto Viejo next week (woo hoo!) and I would like to do some snorkeling while I'm there. Should I bring one with me or can I buy one there? Are they for rent? (although I'd really prefer to have one available on a whim). Thanks!

San Jose, Costa Rica
1. Re: bring, buy, or rent a snorkel?

Well is nice to have your own...but you cn rent some once you are here...of course you can buy...but in that case...better to bring your own!

roadadvisor

San Jose, Costa Rica
2. Re: bring, buy, or rent a snorkel?

The snorkel is really a minor issue, and equipment rental is plentiful.

However, there's nothing worse than snorkeling with a leaky mask. Faces come in all shapes and configurations. I dive and snorkel often, and have a narrow face (and usually some beard/mustache going on). Finding a mask that fits well is important. I always bring my own mask and snorkel when going to a dive or snorkel destination, but usually rent/accept whatever fins they have available...

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
reviews: 13
3. Re: bring, buy, or rent a snorkel?

Bring your own, that way you know it fits and works for you. The quality of masks and snorkels here are not as good as what you can get for a better price at home.

Springfield...
reviews: 1
4. Re: bring, buy, or rent a snorkel?

Thanks for the comments! We did end up bringing snorkel and masks and glad we did instead of relying on lining up the day and finding a rental place.

San Jose, Costa Rica
5. Re: bring, buy, or rent a snorkel?

Good choice...and I hope you see a lot of happy fish!

roaadadvisor

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 135
6. Re: bring, buy, or rent a snorkel?

Snorkeling will be best in Playa Punta Uva and Manzanillo- Gonduca Marine Refuge, get kayak for park exploring.

Mal Pais is better for surf, not snorkel, but Cabo Blanco is decent.

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
7. Re: bring, buy, or rent a snorkel?

That's funny because I have friends who live in Mal Pais and they go snorkeling just about every day. (Depending on the weather.) They seem to like it as well as others living there.

Good idea about bringing your own equipment.

8. Re: bring, buy, or rent a snorkel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, January 07, 2014