We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tortuga Island snorkeling

Which Santa Teresa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
47 reviews
Tortuga Island snorkeling

I am trying to decide if I should book the Tortuga Island Tour. I have read a lot of mixed reviews about this tour and the snorkeling being poor.

We are already snorkeling on the Caribean side and had a poor snorkeling experience last year in Varadero, Cuba any input would be great.

Worse case we will stay in Santa Teresa and Surf which is a still best case scenario :)

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
44,965 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Tortuga Island snorkeling

During the summer time is some nice snorkeling around Tortuga...some rocks formations across from the main beach at Tortuga...it is a nice spot...

rodadvisor

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
19 reviews
2. Re: Tortuga Island snorkeling

Generally, the Caribbean is much better for snorkeling compared to the Pacific, so I am surprised that your experience in Cuba was poor!

Having the disappointing snorkel tour in Cuba and the option to take the Tortuga Is. tour, I would not be recommending the tour for you. Often the snorkeling can be a coin flip....we have been twice and had two different experiences, to say it is a 100% satisfactory would be a lie. The snorkeling relies on Mother Nature's day...if it is optimal, (no wind, no rain, time of the year, a sunny day) it can be perfect, but nothing is perfect as far as relying on such things!

The boat ride is beautiful! Sometimes you can see whales, dolphins, and rays leaping out of the water! Sometimes not....

There are a couple of places to snorkel off the beach: one on the north side of Santa Teresa, right at El Ray Patricio, and another at the southern-most end of the road in Mal Pais at the boundary of Cabo Blanco reserve.

What you choose to do is up to you! Remember....Costa Rica is an adventure! Enjoy your stay in our corner of the country!

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
47 reviews
3. Re: Tortuga Island snorkeling

Thank you for your advice! I think the issue is the first time we ever went snorkeling was in Phuket, Thailand and then when we went in Cuba i was not impressed.

I will definately check out those spots close to we are staying

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
587 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: Tortuga Island snorkeling

It's the only place I've ever snorkeled and I've done it twice (years apart).

It's nothing super fancy, but it's fun. I've taken it from Montezuma, so it's a nice long boat ride which is an excellent boat ride (I'd expect the same for Santa Teresa, they might even shuttle you to Montezuma for it).

We've seen whales on the ride; the one time constantly the other time, just a few times.

Just make sure it's a nice day before you book it. They'll go even on a rainy day.

Gary

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
44,965 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Tortuga Island snorkeling

According to your info about Cuba ...and Thailand...Tortuga is not a place for you...way to simple and sometimes you see a lot and some times you will see notbing...

Send by my wi in one of our cars.

Roadadvisor

Stratham, New...
Level Contributor
38 posts
6. Re: Tortuga Island snorkeling

Just a quick FYI for your future vacation plans...snorkeling is unbelievable in Belize, st. Lucia, and parts of yucaton peninsula in Mexico!

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
107 reviews
7. Re: Tortuga Island snorkeling

Thanks OP (and those who replied) for this thread - was wondering the same thing - I was kinda of spoiled snorkelling in the Maldives in 2011 and found the snorkelling even off the Kenya cost this year rather disappointing by comparison so it sounds like snorkelling off Tortuga/MA area may not be for me.

8. Re: Tortuga Island snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 26, 2014