We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental

Which Santa Teresa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Car Rental

Hello everyone! Looking to rent a car mid September in Costa Rica. I will be in the Santa Teresa area mainly.

I would fly to Tambor to save some time and then pick up the car there but I don't get in until 11:30am and the flights to Tambor have left by then. The person I am traveling with has never been to CR so I did want to show the flight but the drive is nice too.

Anyway, not my first time to CR but first time renting a car there...

1- What type of things to look out for to prevent common problem/ issues?

2- What would be an good rate (approximate guess) for a 7 day or 10 day rental being low season?

3- Any companies I should stay away from or companies you would recommend?

I know the SLI is mandatory so I need to make sure that is on any quote I get. Paying for the car with MasterCard should allow me to refuse the other insurances.

Thanks for your advice!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
1. Re: Car Rental

You can try...Alamo...Toyota...Budget...Avis...Hertz...National..Adobe...

Just be sure to print everything they confirm you...and if your CC offer some kind of coverage...also bring the information in black and white...

Just check your car...in a very picky way...check tires condition...tools...winshield condition and windows any small crack make a note of ...any small scratch...spare tire in good condition...carpet conditions and upholstery ...any little thing that you see let them know...

roadadvisor

London ON
reviews: 12
2. Re: Car Rental

I agree with roadadvisor. I would also suggest you take lots of pictures and check the radio, antenna, CD player, the windshield wipers work - with water, record the mileage if needed, lights work - check dimmer, visors, etc.

Wow lots to check

San Jose
reviews: 22
3. Re: Car Rental

You can still fly to tambor and pick up your car there. I know that Budget has an office there. there are mixed reviews about Budget here, but I guess most if not all rental car companies have mixed reviews here!. I have never, in my personal experience, rented from them. Anyhow, they have an office in Tambor so you could fly from San Jose to Tambor and get that experience that you want and then pick up your car there, they will provide free shuttle from their airport to their nearby office. because its a logner rental (7 to 10 days) you should be able to return in another office without extra charge. One of the rental car companies usually advised not to deal with is Economy, but again, Ive never dealt with them personally. Good luck!

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 7
4. Re: Car Rental

Rental costs vary greatly depending on the vehicle you want and the company you rent with - you should shop around for prices. As you said, you'll have to pay the mandatory insurance but check carefully that the company don't add on surcharges later in the reservation process. Charges such as 13% airport tax can add a significant amount onto your rental cost. Also see how much is being charged for GPS, additional driver cost, even roof racks for the car can be charged at as much as $5 daily. As it is low season, some companies have offers such as free GPS and there are companies who don't charge an additional rate for extras such as these, so look out for these to make significant savings.

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
reviews: 10
5. Re: Car Rental

Alamo and Budget have rental offices in Santa Teresa as well as Tambor.

www.alamocostarica.com

www.budget.co.cr

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
6. Re: Car Rental

Thank you Wefish...as always you with great advice...gracias!

roadadvisor

Florida
7. Re: Car Rental

Yes! will be sure to inspect the vehicle before leaving with it. Good tips on the various things to check... some I wouldn't have thought of..

@crpuravida

Both Nature Air and Sansa only have morning flights to Tambor, that I could find anyway. I'd rather fly into Tambor but I don't think I can because I arrive in SJO after they have left. I'll take your advice on Economy.

Thanks for the help. I'll start inquiring to the different rental companies with the information you have all given..

8. Re: Car Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 21, 2013