We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Teresa or Montezuma? Or both?

Which Santa Teresa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
Level Contributor
16 posts
305 reviews
Santa Teresa or Montezuma? Or both?

Which would you recommend for 7 nights? We are in our mid-20s, looking to spend about $60-100/night on hotel, and are interested in both lounging on the beach and doing some fun activities/day trips. We love to eat, but aren't foodie snobs. We'll probably want to go out for drinks a few times, but nothing too big. I would love to hear your opinions!

We'll fly into SJO and plan to take the bus, then fly SANSA out of Tambor. Any thoughts on spending a few days in Montezuma and then a few days in Santa Teresa? As I understand it, Santa Teresa is much closer to Tambor, right?

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
2,947 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Santa Teresa or Montezuma? Or both?

montezuma is closer to tambor. i don't see why you can't do both, three days in one, and three in the other. also they are close enough that you can do a daytrip via rental atv from one to the other. montezuma has lots to keep you going for three days or more with two waterfalls, beach, zipline and jungle. sta teresa, right next door to mal pais is a very popular surf town so if you surf or want to learn, this is a good place to go.

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,611 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Santa Teresa or Montezuma? Or both?

I would suggest you stay at both places. They are so different from each other. Montezuma is good for activities and you can walk to many of them. Santa Teresa has beautiful beaches and a huge selection of accommodation and restaurants. Do all of your 'activities' in Montezuma then head over to Santa Teresa and kick back, relax, watch the sun set and find a place to stay that is central so you don't have to hire any type of transportation, other than to get to Tambor.

Although Montezuma is closer to Tambor, it doesn't cost much more to get from Santa Teresa to Tambor to fly out.

Virginia
Level Contributor
16 posts
305 reviews
3. Re: Santa Teresa or Montezuma? Or both?

Wow, thank you both!

What would you recommend for a centrally located hotel in ST that isn't too noisy or pricey?

What's the best way to get from Montezuma to ST?

What's the best way to get from ST to Tambor, and how much time should we allow for that?

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
2,947 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: Santa Teresa or Montezuma? Or both?

if you're just doing a day trip, rent an atv, if you're going for a few days, a taxi will do. tambor to st will probably be an hour, the first half on paved road then gravel road over the hills. i've never stayed in st but i recommend amor de mar in montezuma.

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,611 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Santa Teresa or Montezuma? Or both?

I don't know your budget, but you can look at these two sites to get an idea of prices, amenities and locations:

www.nicoyazoom.com/en/hotel-guide/index.html

http://www.nicoyapeninsula.com

The best way to get from Montezuma to Santa Teresa(1/2 hr) and from Santa Teresa to Tambor (30 - 40 minutes) is by cab.

You can catch a local bus that goes from Montezuma to Cobano then get on a connecting bus from Cobano to Santa Teresa if you want to go least expensive and haven't got more than a bag or backpack to carry.

Virginia
Level Contributor
16 posts
305 reviews
6. Re: Santa Teresa or Montezuma? Or both?

Thank you, wefish, that website is very helpful. We are thinking of staying at Mangos in Montezuma, but aren't yet sure about ST. Our budget is $60-$100 per night. My wife is looking for cleanliness and safety... for me- a quiet night of sleep and a swimming pool! :)

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
2,947 posts
28 reviews
7. Re: Santa Teresa or Montezuma? Or both?

if you stay in the hotel part of los mangos, be sure to stay on the top floor at the end. those wooden floors are noisy!

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
8. Re: Santa Teresa or Montezuma? Or both?

Looking for a clean, safe hotel with a pool in Santa Teresa? Consider Raratonga Apartments. Really nice staff and excellent location in the northern part of town. Close to a beach where there are few rocks, gorgeous vistas, soft sand, and shade for throwing down a beach towel. I also like Otro Lado. Hope this is helpful!

9. Re: Santa Teresa or Montezuma? Or both?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, June 18, 2013