We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nosara to Santa Teresa

Which Santa Teresa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Park City, Utah
Nosara to Santa Teresa

Me and my family are headed to Santa Teresa from Nosara next week has anyone done the drive along coast recently? Is it faster than going back to Nicoya or some other inland route? Is there a preferred or reccommended route inland or along the coast?

Thanks in advance

wpg3

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 26
1. Re: Nosara to Santa Teresa

i did a very similar drive back in february. once you get past samara the road turns to dirt, but when i drove it it was nearly as smooth as paved roads as you get further south they become regular gravel roads. it's a beautiful drive but there are some river crossings that you shouldn't attempt in a regular car, and depending on time of year you would need to take an alternate route with a bridge. i did montezuma to samara in about 2.5 hours. add an hour for nosara-samara.

Park City, Utah
2. Re: Nosara to Santa Teresa

Thanks Sonny, looking forward to the drive.... did you like Montezuma?

Anything you would not miss....

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
3. Re: Nosara to Santa Teresa

ask any regular here i love montezuma! the obvious is the montezuma falls with its natural swimming pool. the entrance to the path is right across from hotel amor de mar. we had a good stay there. there is a trail that parallels the beach through the jungle heading north out of town. walk it for 2-3 hours (lots of water and sunblock) and you'll reach another waterfall, one of only two in the world that empty directly into the ocean. or you could drive there in about 15 minutes, but i do highly recommend a hike along the path.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
reviews: 2
4. Re: Nosara to Santa Teresa

Wow!! Montezuma to Samara in 2-1/2 hours??? Dang, I'm impressed....or scared! It usually takes at least 3-1/2 hours or more, with no stops!!

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
5. Re: Nosara to Santa Teresa

i am probably a little off, but i also had a proper offroad vehicle so i didn't have to creep along as i would if i was in a sedan and that makes a huge difference.

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
reviews: 10
6. Re: Nosara to Santa Teresa

2.5 hrs. on the coast road sounds about right to me....no stops. But, we also know the route well. It may take a bit longer with stops and if you have to ask for directions.

The first time we took this route 16 yrs ago, we got lost and crossed the peninsula 3 times! Took us 6-7 hours!

Park City, Utah
7. Re: Nosara to Santa Teresa

Ola wefish anything i can do to minimize "mistakes" (wrong turns) Driving down?

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
8. Re: Nosara to Santa Teresa

i used a garmin with costa rica mapping by www.navsatcr.com for my time trial between montezuma and nosara

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
reviews: 10
9. Re: Nosara to Santa Teresa

As sonnysullivan says, get yourself a GPS, or get a good map if you don't get a GPS. Watch carefully for road signs, they are at every important junction, the next small community is always the first to be listed on the direction signs. Ask someone to be sure you are going in the right direction. If you get to an intersection that is beyond where you should be, you will have to back-track. Consider it an adventure! Don't get stressed. Leave early in the morning so you can enjoy the birds if you are a bird person and leave plenty of time to get to your destination before sunset. If you all get out of the vehicle at a river crossing to walk the river or check out the scenery, make sure you lock your car (and pull over to let anyone else get by you)...even we have had thieves help themselves to a few things in our car when we saw no one around when we got out! Always walk the rivers you are crossing if you are in doubt....or wait for someone else to cross first!

Park City, Utah
10. Re: Nosara to Santa Teresa

Thanks Wefish, we will be in your neck of the woods in a few days...

Already have the Garmin w CR map.... Just lookng for last minute advice.

As always good information. I know i asked you this already but are you in ST now? Dont you think the rios will be very low this time of year without any rain?