I am not sure of anyone who has surf-casting gear for rent. Perhaps your father should bring down a set up that would be to his liking and either gift it to someone when he leaves or take it home with him.
As far as 1/2 day fishing rates (IMHO):
- most of the pangas leave the fishing harbor around 7 and do a 3-4 hr. shift then do another shift in the afternoon, so you can choose when you would like to go fishing.
- you can go down to the fishing harbor one morning and arrange a fishing trip either in the afternoon or the next day, Jorge is one of the bosses there and usually a 4 hr. trip costs anywhere between $160-200/boat.
- you can sometimes hook up with another group going out if you want to split the cost of the boat, but you would be sharing the time in the fishing positions, so you will either have to share your catch with everyone else or work out some kind of deal about who plays the fish....or whatever.... also depending on if you are catching and releasing or keeping....
- if you are into 'sport' fishing and you want to 'play' a fish, you may want to bring your own gear from home because the rod and real set-ups used on the pangas are very short, stiff fishing rods and level-wind reals and not very sporting.
- personally, I would rather fish with at least a 10 ft. med. to light action fishing rod, or even a fly-fishing rod and single action real....very sporting and fun!