We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sansa or Nature Air?

Which Santa Teresa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
reviews: 3
Sansa or Nature Air?

We've decided to fly back from Tambor to San Jose? Does anyone recommend one airline over another? I'll be traveling with my wife (who is not a fan of flying) and two kids. Thanks.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 20
1. Re: Sansa or Nature Air?

The major difference is that Nature Air flies into Pavas airport, roughly 20-30 minutes from SJO while SANSA flies into SJO with a separate terminal a 5 minute walk from the international terminal. I've had more luck with Nature Air flights arriving ontime but that's just my personal experience. Both airlines were professional and the landings were more gentle than the international flights. Remember these pilots get a lot more practice with takeoffs and landings than the pilots flying those jumbo jets.

San Jose, Costa Rica
2. Re: Sansa or Nature Air?

Well, both are good. Sansa flies from the San Jose International airport and Nature Air flies from the Pavas Airport about a 20 minute drive from the SJO airport depending on traffic. My personal preference is Nature Air

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
reviews: 28
3. Re: Sansa or Nature Air?

Both airlines are safe and about the same on service.

Sansa flyes out of the domestic terminal of SJO - San Jose Juan Santa Maria International Airport

Nature Air flyies out of the Pavas domestic airport about 20 min away, I understand there is a free shuttle but you need to figure transfer time if you are conecting to or from an international flight.

Nature air operates aircraft with two engines (turbo prop) while not necesarly safer or less safe.

Have a look at the schedulles and I would go with what works best for you taking into account departure and arrival airport of each operator into SJO.

San Jose, Costa Rica
4. Re: Sansa or Nature Air?

If you are flying out of SJO...take SANSA...if you are going somewhere else and airport location is not mandatory...Nature Air...

roadadisor

San Diego...
reviews: 3
5. Re: Sansa or Nature Air?

Thanks for the replies. Booked a flight with Nature Air since we are just going to a hotel in San Jose rather than the airport.

San Jose, Costa Rica
6. Re: Sansa or Nature Air?

Good choice...NAture Air is a lot closer to most San Jose Hotels...

roadadvisor

Chicago
reviews: 19
7. Re: Sansa or Nature Air?

Just back from Nicoya and we too took NatureAir. Flights to and from were on-time. Schlepping from San Jose International to Pavas (even though we had arranged transport through NatureAir in advance) was inconvenient, but it all worked out. We chose NatureAir mainly because the flight time was better. The flight itself - 25 minutes, slightly bumpy, but views were gorgeous.

San Jose, Costa Rica
8. Re: Sansa or Nature Air?

Thank you nice mini report...!

roadadvisor

Los Angeles...
9. Re: Sansa or Nature Air?

We flew Nature air couple years ago on same route....Be aware that the plane is very small (like a cesna style) and if your wife is not a good flyer she needs to be prepared that its a small plane and you can not stand up in it. The flight is absolutely beautiful scenery but can be a bit bumpy. The landing and take offs are fine but its the smallness that gets to people.

Best of luck

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 17
10. Re: Sansa or Nature Air?

One other difference that might matter to some is the baggage allowance.

For SANSA : Checked baggage permitted: 1 piece with maximum weight of 30 lbs./14 kgs and up to 45 linear inches / 114 cm. (length + height + width)

For Natureair, it varies by fare type

Flex 40 pounds

Promo 27 pounds

Loco 15 pounds

http://www.natureair.com/baggage.aspx

@impdoc - both operate small planes where you can't stand or move around. But the flights are short.