We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Teresa or Osa Peninsula?

Which Santa Teresa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Princeton, NJ
reviews: 17
Santa Teresa or Osa Peninsula?

REALLY need some advice - want to visit CR mid-March with my sister and 19 year old son. Least expensive flights are on JetBlue to Liberia. Here's the catch, Sis and I can stay several days longer than my son. My sister and I can stay 7 to 9 days, but my son only has 5 or 6 days, so...here goes...!

1) Shortest way from Liberia to either S.T. or Osa? rental car, shuttle/taxi? Length of time from airport to S.T. vs. Osa Peninsula?

2) S.T. vs. Osa? Surfing in S.T. for my son vs. wildlife/beach for Mom?

3) In S.T. Casa Marbella vs. Manala Hotel?

4) In Osa - suggestions for nice hotel? up to $225/nt?

5) Ok for my 19 yo to travel by himself back to the airport by shuttle or bus(are there buses ???)

6)Best car rental agency? Approximate fees for 7 days?

Truly appreciate the expert advise I always receive from this website! Cheers! Dana

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 20
1. Re: Santa Teresa or Osa Peninsula?

1. Shortest way is to fly through San Jose and on to Puerto Jiminez.

2.Forget the Osa if you're flying into Liberia. Its a full day's drive from Liberia to Puerto Jimenez and you don't have the time for it this trip unless you fly from Liberia to San Jose to PJ and back. The travel time from Liberia to Santa Teresa is roughly 5 hours. Check www.yourtravelmap.com for driving times and directions.

5. Yes it's perfectly safe for a 19 year old to travel back to the airport and he could easily use one of the shared shuttle services if the times work for his return flight. If he has a morning flight out he needs a private driver or an overnight in Liberia near the airport.

6. Check rental costs online. You should rent a 4wd to travel around Santa Teresa. We've used Mapache and Service but there are many others.

You may also want to consider closer options to the airport in Liberia. Santa Teresa is gorgeous but a very long drive. For instance Nosara is less than 3 hours from the airport and Playa Junquillal is less than 2 hours if you're looking for surfing beaches.

Costa rica
reviews: 40
2. Re: Santa Teresa or Osa Peninsula?

Hi Dana, your schedule are a little difficult : Sta Teresa is good for surfing, Osa is fantastic, beaches and wildlife are awesome, and there are a nice spots for surf. Distance are the factor to cosiderer, from Liberia -Sta Teresa few hours

by road, Liberia - Osa not that close, only way to make that way faster will be flying, maybe from Tambor and changing plane in S. Jose.

Try to keep your vacation in Guanacaste area, there are options to keep every body happy in your family.

Pura Vida ...

3. Re: Santa Teresa or Osa Peninsula?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:38 am, April 22, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Santa Teresa