We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to drive in Costa Rica?

Which Santa Teresa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
reviews: 1
Is it safe to drive in Costa Rica?

My husband has driven in all the Caribbean islands we've visited, but has always been hesitant to drive in Mexico. Is it "safe" to drive in CR, i.e. if there is an accident?

Thanks,

Sue

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
1. Re: Is it safe to drive in Costa Rica?

Not sure what you mean by "safe." Are there guerillas with AK 47-s who will stop your car and rob you or kidnap you? No. Emphatically no.

Are most of the secondary roads gravel and pretty slow to travel? Yes.

What exactly is your concern about "safety" regarding an accident? I will try to help you if I can.

Wisconsin
reviews: 1
2. Re: Is it safe to drive in Costa Rica?

OK, I''ll try to say this as delicately as I can. Hubby was afraid in Mexico that if we had an accident we'd be swiftly carted off to a Mexican jail. That's just his impression, right or wrong.

Any similar concerns in CR?

Barrie, Canada
reviews: 34
3. Re: Is it safe to drive in Costa Rica?

No!

If you have an accident in CR it will take time because you cannot move the cars (even if they are in the middle of an intersection) until the transit police and both insurance adjustors arrive to take photos fill out paper work etc.

At the end of it all you will be fine and on your way!

Try to avoid San Jose if possible but the tourist routs are fine!

Edited: 1:22 pm, December 29, 2011
Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
4. Re: Is it safe to drive in Costa Rica?

nope.... as long as you have your license and passport you will have no issues what so ever... Avoid speeding at all costs. We have some the highest speeding tickets in the world. $650 for traveling 12km over the posted limit I think it is. Aside from that you are good to go. Many roads along main routes are in great shape. IMO renting a car is the absolute best way to see the country.

Cheers

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
5. Re: Is it safe to drive in Costa Rica?

As others have said, no worries about traffic accidents. Really, Costa Rica is not at all like Mexico - or anywhere else, actually.

Wilton, Connecticut
reviews: 47
6. Re: Is it safe to drive in Costa Rica?

Absolutely right! CR is like nowhere else....warm, friendly genuine caring gentle people. One of the most amazing places i have ever been. We flew to Tambor and rented a car for a week as well as an ATV and we had an awesome time.

7. Re: Is it safe to drive in Costa Rica?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, February 08, 2013