We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worst excuse for roads on the planet Earth

Which Santa Teresa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, TX
reviews: 29
Worst excuse for roads on the planet Earth

Without question, the roads in Santa Teresa Costa Rica have earned the distinction of being the worst roads on the planet Earth.

I realize that the rainy season has just come to an end but the roads in Santa Teresa could not possibally be worse. It is absolutely impossible.

Bridges washed out, holes in the middle of the road that can swallow vehicles, mud from hell, dogs out number people, dirt bikes passing you from either side of your vehicle, people walking in the middle of the road that won't move out of the way.

We stayed at Villas Hermosas and traveled back and forth to Santa Teresa to visit the restaurants on a daily basis. One night there was a dog that was run over by a vehicle that was dying in the middle of the road.

One day there was a jerk carrying his surfboard that refused to get out of the way that scraped his surfboard along our vehicle. That ended in a verbal outrage that perhaps showed both our ignorance. Literally this guy wouldn't get out of the middle of the road.

The minute the sun comes out the roads turn to dust. You have to wipe down a table to eat in at restaurant. You sit in a restaurant and smell the fumes of delivery vehicles as you try to enjoy a meal.

I can not imagine the damage that this road does to vehicles and tires. People say that if they put in decent roads that "the area will be overrun by tourists" and that the locals "do not want roads."

I can only tell you that as a two time visitor of Santa Teresa that has spent a lot of money on vacations to this area that I will not go back until they build some bridges, install sidewalks and put in some decent roads.

Wilton, Connecticut
reviews: 46
21. Re: Worst excuse for roads on the planet Earth

I have just returned from my first visit to Santa Teresa. We spent 7 nights there. I am a widely traveled world traveler and although the roads might not be like in Dallas or Disneyland, I for one hope that they don't fix them up as this is part of the charm of the place along with warm, friendly and gentle people. We too stayed at Villas Hermosas and it was awesome - exactly what we needed. We enjoyed driving whenever we drove - definitely preferable to the congested streets of Manhattan with abundant obnoxious rude Yellow Cab drivers - I would trade the odd surfer and his board on an ATV with a NY taxi driver any day. Life is what you make of it, and there are trade offs - long may Santa Teresa stay like it is cuz that will keep the masses away and hopefully it will never become another American resort town in a charming Latin country. Keep the roads the way they are as heaven forbid it becomes like Cancun with Senor Frogs!

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
reviews: 10
22. Re: Worst excuse for roads on the planet Earth

Hola SAFARIMAN80!

Glad you enjoyed your visit to our corner of Costa Rica!

I totally agree with you about the area. You struck it lucky on the road situation though....you experienced a vast difference in road quality compared to Mahalo. I doubt he would have said much if he visited now!

Hurry on back for a second round!!!

Colorado Springs, CO
reviews: 10
23. Re: Worst excuse for roads on the planet Earth

Oh come on, Mahalo, they're not that bad. Sure, pot-holes and bumps all the way, but they're actually roads. Come to southern africa some time - we reserve the term 'bad road' for ones that will actually break your truck or get you killed. I've twice come in from the veld with all my (4) spares used and once had to patch a tire in lion country. The roads to Santa Teresa are merely fun and interesting.

24. Re: Worst excuse for roads on the planet Earth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:40 pm, June 22, 2013