We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Santa Teresa from Liberia and getting around

Which Santa Teresa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Greenwich, CT
reviews: 81
Getting to Santa Teresa from Liberia and getting around

Hi, we have two families who will be traveling from Liberia airport to Santa Teresa in Feb. However, we are not leaving the same time. We are trying to figure out the most logical and economical way for both families (one w/ 4 people, the other with 5) to get to and from Liberia airport and then around Santa Teresa and environs for 5 days.

One thought is each family could get a van/driver to take us down there and then rent one large vehicles for the 9 of us to get around, since we will mostly be doing things together, or two vehicles.

Option 2 is for both families to rent cars since we are going to and from the airport on different days. Option 3 is to get transport there and back and then take taxis or hire a driver just when we want to go somewhere, like Montezuma.

We are staying at Fuego and I assume we don't need to use a car every day, but we definitely want to do some exploring, horseback, surf lessons, etc. I know sometimes the tour operators will also pick you up.

Any suggestions? I know if we each rent a car from the airport for the whole 8 days, it will cost about $800+ per family. So to sum up, I guess we' re trying to see if there's a way for both families to get to Santa Teresa and back (on different days) plus get around while we're there for less than $1,600.

Thanks!

San Jose, Costa Rica
1. Re: Getting to Santa Teresa from Liberia and getting around

The private transfers would be less than the amount for the 2 cars and then if need you can get local inexpensive cabs for local transfers. Tour companies would pick you up at your hotel for tours. In the other hand having a car rental would give you the advantage to come and go as you please and move around at your own pace. Only the rental vans would support 9 people at the same time but I would suggest 4x4 for the area you are going.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
2. Re: Getting to Santa Teresa from Liberia and getting around

A nice van with good insurance , good tires, good driver and good for up to 14 people....I´m talking about a Toyota Hiace Van...dual a-c, etc, etc...you can contact ecotrans...great people to deal with and certified by ICT...they can transfer every body from LIR to ST...

And maybe once in Santa Tereza...you can rent a 4x4 big enough...the largest can be a Toyota Prado or Mitsubishi Montero cerirified by our DOT for 7 passengers...or get a couple of BEGOS or Jimmy´s...

A lot of nice place to drive...and visit...of course Montezuma is one of them!

roadadvisor

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
3. Re: Getting to Santa Teresa from Liberia and getting around

I would hire private down there, when you get there rent a car big enough for everyone, arrange to drop it off at the airport in Liberia if you all leave the same day.

Cheers

Greenwich, CT
reviews: 81
4. Re: Getting to Santa Teresa from Liberia and getting around

Thanks everyone for the input!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
5. Re: Getting to Santa Teresa from Liberia and getting around

You are more than WELCOME...

Please do not hesitate to ask any question here at the forum any time!

roadadvisor

Puntarenas, Costa...
reviews: 60
6. Re: Getting to Santa Teresa from Liberia and getting around

Hello! I am from Darien and live in Costa Rica very close to where you are heading! The town of Santa Theresa is small and you will probably be fine with one large mini van for the five days you will be there. You could have private drivers get each group to your destination, then have an agency deliver a rental of your choice to you and everyone drives back to Liberia together. And while you are in Santa Theresa check out Product C...my husband and I are HUGE fans of their oysters....almost as good as what we get at home! Have a great time in Costa Rica!

7. Re: Getting to Santa Teresa from Liberia and getting around

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:21 pm, October 23, 2012