We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Teresa/ Malpais at Christmas with young teens/ area?

Which Santa Teresa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
reviews: 26
Santa Teresa/ Malpais at Christmas with young teens/ area?

Hey There....5th time to Costa Rica/ 1st time to this area. We have 4 nights and 5 days. Dec.24th-28th. I'm trying to figure out the best town, Malpais or Santa Teresa? ( thinking Santa Teresa ). I understand Malpais is a bit quieter, the latter a bit busier/ funkier/ etc.

Also, great hotel with a 13 & 15 yr old? Should we rent a car/ do we need it?

We loved the look of Vista de Olas in the hills above Malpais/ stunning view/ cool villas/ seems like a great resto/ but my concern is that its far removed.....Beja Flor?( name )

I'm a bit overwhelmed with hotel choices( max $250 per night ), and having trouble nailing down the area.

Thanx!!!

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
reviews: 3
1. Re: Santa Teresa/ Malpais at Christmas with young teens/ area?

They are really so close I would not be concerned about that....but you might want to look at Tropical Hotel...on the beach and walking distance to many things. You do need to decide fast, real fast, as that is peak season and a lot of your choices may already be booked!

Montreal, Canada
2. Re: Santa Teresa/ Malpais at Christmas with young teens/ area?

Hi There! Thanx so much for the help, and we plan to try and book today...I'm just so overwhelmed with great choices I can't decide, lol! Are you referring to Tropico Latino?? I'll have another peek at it as it does look sweet.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
reviews: 115
3. Re: Santa Teresa/ Malpais at Christmas with young teens/ area?

$250 a night, is that per room or total for 2 rooms, or are you sharing a room with the teens?

I like Tropical Latino. The location is great and they have a 2 bedroom house you can rent that would be great for your family.

Montreal, Canada
4. Re: Santa Teresa/ Malpais at Christmas with young teens/ area?

$250 would be one room/ all of us together. We only need two double beds/ or a sofa/ cot scenario is fine as well. So $250 is tops....I just went back and looked at Tropical Latino which was hubby's 1st pick when we booked flights yesterday. I fell in love with it so called them directly. IT'S BOOKED!!! Sob.

So, back to the drawing board.....

Manala?

Bejor Flor?

Luz de Vida looked ok.

Milarepa ( a bit far? )

Pranamar(sp) looks wonderful/ but we'd have to loosen the purse strings a bit more.

Vista de Olas?? Views/ pool are stunning/ but too far?

San Jose, Costa Rica
5. Re: Santa Teresa/ Malpais at Christmas with young teens/ area?

During that time of the year ...almost every body will love to stay around Santa Teresa...kids will love it there a lot of young people around...my recommendation make a reservation ASASPO...it is peak season...and palces just have a limited number of rooms!

roadadvisor

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
reviews: 115
6. Re: Santa Teresa/ Malpais at Christmas with young teens/ area?

I haven't stayed at any of the hotels you listed but I have a suggestion. We stayed in a two bed room capita at hotel esencia. The pool and accomadations are newer and nicer then tropical Latino. The staff was excellent. They don't have a restaurant on site but that wasn't an issue for us.

Sorry about the typos. My DROID wont stop overwriting me.

Montreal, Canada
7. Re: Santa Teresa/ Malpais at Christmas with young teens/ area?

Thank you!!! I'm going to dream of hotels tonite, lol. I've been searching for hours....we plan to book this evening. The website of Tropico Latino was amazing, plus their location seems perfect ( that I have figured out now, lol ).

I'll check out Esencia further.....

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
reviews: 10
8. Re: Santa Teresa/ Malpais at Christmas with young teens/ area?

I think your teenagers would love you for getting a hotel on or near the beach of Santa Teresa. The views are great from Vista de Olas, but you are far from everything as is Beja Flor.

You have many choices:

If you go to www.nicoyazoom.com you will find hotels listed in Santa Teresa and there is a price break-down as well as a list of what each accommodation has to offer. I find it a very helpful site.

Although you should make your arrangements early for your travel dates....it does get busy!! take your time and figure out exactly what you want.

Another great site is www.nicoyapeninsula.com it has great maps and you can get an idea of location of everything.

Montreal, Canada
9. Re: Santa Teresa/ Malpais at Christmas with young teens/ area?

THank you so much, appreciate the input. I have both those sites, and I printed the maps and have gone over them 100x each, lol! Vista de Olas "speaks" to me so to speak...as did Tropico Latino( full ), we normally are budget travellers but are splurging a bit. Thus I'm trying to find the "right' place.

Of course Flor Blanca looks divine, but thats WAY out of reach. Milarepa is sweet, but it seems extremely spartan for what you pay. I love La Hacienda...but again, its removed from the action. Manala looks interesting so I'm going to go look at it again.

Thank you again!

Oh....for arguments sake, can we grab local taxis from Vista de OLas? And what are local taxi costs??

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 136
10. Re: Santa Teresa/ Malpais at Christmas with young teens/ area?

Milarepa is a bit far from the main town area, and I think they only have a queen bed in the open air bungelows, and the bathroom is outside, intimate for a couple, but not a family IMO.

I would stay closer to the main area of Mal Pais, the kids can walk the beach to town to goof off.

Edited: 11:21 pm, September 21, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Santa Teresa