We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in CR- need help with Santa Teresa

Which Santa Teresa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia
reviews: 4
First time in CR- need help with Santa Teresa

I need your advice!

My husband and I are in our 30's and like to travel to off the beaten path places and we enjoy beautiful beaches. This is our first trip to CR for 1 1/2 weeks. We plan on going in Feb. or March. I've been spending hours doing research and I still can't figure out my itinerary.

Since it's our first time, maybe we should check out 2 areas of CR?

It seems like every one goes to Arenal. I think I want to check out the beaches but would I be making a mistake by skipping Arenal? I'm also interested in flying to Tambor and staying in Santa Teresa but I think just staying there for the entire trip might be a waste? What would be another beach town to split up the trip? I think I'll have to rent a car but I don't want to spend hours driving to get to places.

Any help would be so appreciated.

San Jose, Costa Rica
1. Re: First time in CR- need help with Santa Teresa

Santa Tereza is a lovely place...but maybe good idea as you mentioned drive to Arenal...it is only 3 hours...nice ride...nice road...and from there you can drive to Santa Tereza...about 6 hours if you can match the ferry conection in Puntarenas...

roadadvisor

Dallas, TX
reviews: 29
2. Re: First time in CR- need help with Santa Teresa

We went to Santa Teresa last year and stayed at Villas Hermosas. That was a great choice and we found them because of Trip Advisor. We enjoyed Costa Rica so much that we are going back for Thanksgiving.

In visiting with Tara at Villas Hermosas she suggested that we consider splitting the trip up this year so we are going to Arena Nayara for four days and then driving to Santa Teresa and again staying at Villas Hermosas.

The count down is now 91 more days. Looking forward to Turkey, Imperials and Cowboy football for Thanksgiving. Although the Turkey may be replaced by something fresh from the sea.

Mahalo

Cleveland, Ohio
reviews: 33
3. Re: First time in CR- need help with Santa Teresa

Hi I have done CR three times and planning my 4th.

We did Tamarindo and Manuel antonio first

Arenal and osa second

and toured central valley and montezuma the last time

I liked arenal and it was a neat experience if you think you are going to do costa rica only once I would go there and then do a beach destination. Out of the beach destinations tamarindo I liked the least although it had many bars places to eat and tourist friendly town.

Manuel antonio area was beautiful and more lush than tamarindo although many hotels are not directly on the beach lots to do in the area and more animals than tamarindo

Osa is very special just what you think of a rain forest a little more out of the way and tons of nature and wildlife I loved it there. The town of puerto Jimenez is not very touristy and not convient to alot of the hotels

Montezuma I also liked great town lots to do and fun bars and places to eat the scenary is beautiful. The town has a hippy vibe too it which I loved.

What are you most interested in? animals, beaches, or adventure and go from there.

In arenal do not miss the hot springs they are great and zip line at sky treck if you go . Cano negro tour is also nice.

We always travel private driver or fly if you watch you can sometimes catch a sale on domestic flights I havent found the cost too bad for the convience.

Here is where we stayed in each location and I would recomend them all

adventure inn in san jose if you have to overnight by airport

capitain suizo in tamarindo or sueno del mar B and B just outside tamarindo

si como no in arenal or lost iguana in arenal

yellow coco lodge in osa or iguana lodge

I have not stayed at bosque del cabo but it is on my list check it out

montezuma beach house or ylang ylang in montezuma

have fun!!

4. Re: First time in CR- need help with Santa Teresa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:02 am, September 07, 2011
San Francisco...
reviews: 4
5. Re: First time in CR- need help with Santa Teresa

> We plan on going in Feb. or March

FYI, that's a hot/dry (and thus: dusty) time to be in Mal Pais/Santa Theresa. I would encourage you to go anwyay 'cos it a beautiful place / great beach, and the flight into/out-of Tambor makes it that much more accessible on a short trip. There are buses and shuttle vans that will get you from Mal Pais to Arenal so you could spend a week on the beach then head to the mountains for the half week and then back to SJO for the flight out.

6. Re: First time in CR- need help with Santa Teresa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, October 11, 2012