We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Teresa beach

Which Santa Teresa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal
reviews: 11
Santa Teresa beach

We are not surfer and are thinking of spending a week in Santa Teresa.....We enjoy swimming in the ocean a lot....Are the waves too big and the ocean too violent for that?

Last year we were on Manuel Antonio beach....Half the days it was calm enough to swim and the other half too violent and all the good surfer would come out.....Is it worse ? Should we head back to Manuel Antonio beach for calmer swimming?

Houston, Texas
1. Re: Santa Teresa beach

I've heard several reports that the swimming can be good at the beach at Red Palm Villas.

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
reviews: 10
2. Re: Santa Teresa beach

I don't think the surf is as violent in the Santa Teresa area compared to MA.

There are areas where you can swim very safely any day (Playa Manzanillo or the Swiss Beach), there are sections that are surfer's paradise. I think MA has more tide rips which seem to consume many tourists....no so in Santa Teresa. I find that if the surfers are out, we don't go swimming! When they aren't....we swim!

San Jose, Costa Rica
3. Re: Santa Teresa beach

Even that I love Manuel Antonio...if you have the chance and time...visit Santa Tereza...incredible beach...the vegetation around is spectacular...even during dry season...and the ocean is the best!

roadadvisor

Cleveland, Ohio
reviews: 30
4. Re: Santa Teresa beach

very nice when I was there in February.

San Jose, Costa Rica
5. Re: Santa Teresa beach

Hi Diane,

Santa Teresa is a beautiful beach very well known for its sandy beach and its waves all year round.

If you are not into surf, the best time to come is from mid November until mid April (the so called dry season) when the waves are nicer for beginners and for swimming.

The rest of the year is the rainy season so the waves get bigger,though you can swimm still.In October it rains a lot,its the peak of the rainy season, it gets really defiant for pro surfers and it gets really hard to paddle in.

Good waves!

Edited: 5:41 pm, September 03, 2011
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 20
6. Re: Santa Teresa beach

I don't disagree with the above posters but if swimming in the ocean is really important to you, you should look up the coast north of Santa Teresa and check out Samara and nearby Playa Carrillo which are much better (and safer) for swimming and snorkeling. See more at ww.nicoyapeninsulacom/samara/

San Jose, Costa Rica
7. Re: Santa Teresa beach

Agree with crfan...I will stay around Samara if swimming is important for you!

roadadavisor

8. Re: Santa Teresa beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, October 05, 2012